Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What seems to be the problem?

Default What seems to be the problem?

Part 1

When I got my Miata, I realized that there really was no good place to put the garage door opener. I decided that I would find away to install it into the dash. I started by taking it apart and examining the circuit board. I found where the micro button was connected to the board and I soldered a pair of wires to the correct points on the back of the board. I then connected a momentary push button from Radio Shack to the wires. Next was to look at power. I added up the voltage of the watch batteries that it ran off of and found that it was 9 volts. Not wanting to deal with stepping down the on hand 12v, I decided to take the easy way out and use a 9v battery. I soldered a 9v battery lead to the battery clips on the circuit board and plugged in a battery. I stuffed the circuit board and battery into a plastic bag (to protect it from moisture) and then mounted the button in a pop out dummy plate (think it is for a light) on the side of the center consol. It worked great!

Last February I participated in a Drivers Edge event at MotorSport Ranch. My friend Matt was co-driving my car during the event, as he was between cars and was thinking about a Miata. Matt is 6’3” and he wanted to see if he could be comfortable in a Miata on the track. After his first run around the track, he brought the car in. Apparently his knee was hitting the button for the garage door opener. I explained that it popped right out, so he gave it a tug. As expected, the panel came out, button attached, along with the wires, circuit board and battery. Matt was happy and hit the track with no more problems the rest of the day. I shoved the setup into the pouch of a bag I had with me and that that was that.

This past Forth of July, I took my wife and daughter back to California for a week to visit with friends and family. My wife thought that my track bag made the perfect carry-on. By the look on his face, I don’t think that the DFW x-ray operator would agree.

I am tired of typing, so stay tuned for the rest of the story.

(Insert Jeopardy theme song here)

Default Part 2

Part 2

OK… the x-ray screener didn’t like what he saw, so my track bag was removed from the conveyer belt before I could pick it up. I couldn’t see the x-ray screen, and had no recollection of what was in the bag, so I was not sure what was going on.

At this point the bag was moved to the desk where they use the wand to check for explosive residue. The inspector ran his little wand all over the inside and outside of the bag, but it came up clean. He then proceeded to empty the contents of the bag out onto the table one item at a time, inspecting each item as he went. Once the bag was empty, he started feeling the bag for hidden compartments. He felt something. He realized he had missed an outside pocket, so he reached in and pulled out my garage door opener contraption. He took 2 steps back, extended his arms completely to put space between his body and what he was holding, and then yelled “ASSISTANCE”. I nearly peed myself.

In about 3 seconds flat, his supervisor was by his side. She began grilling me with questions as he pulled his explosives wand back out. I told them the story from part 1 above, but I don’t think they were buying it. The supervisor picked up the phone, and seconds later her supervisor appeared.

Again, I explained my story to the second supervisor. He stopped me half way through and said “Garage door opener… so it is a transmitter?” He then asked if I had checked any luggage. I said yes, and he asked to see my baggage claim tickets. He placed a quick call, and then we were back to the questions. He told me in no uncertain terms that there was no way my garage door opener was going on the plane with me.

About this point, my 2 year old daughter Jamie ran over to me and started tugging on my leg yelling Daddy Daddy. I think this was my saving grace. I could tell by the look on his face that he was relieved and figured that it was un-likely that I would blow up a plane with my daughter on it. He got much nicer from here and offered to walk me out to the ticket counter where I could mail the contraption home for $15. My other choices were to cancel our trip, or let them keep it.

I realized that the garage door opener was for my old house in California, and was really of no use to me. All I cared about was the piece of plastic from the car that the button was mounted on. I asked if I could remove it and let them keep the rest. They agreed, and we were on our way. This was a good 20 minutes after I had innocently asked “What seems to be the problem?”.

The plane took off 30 minutes late, and it was pretty obvious by the looks of our checked bags that they were THOUROUGHLY inspected.

Nice story so far, but based on previous traveling experience, you left out where they gave everyone a very thorough body cavity search. Those folks (rightfully so) have no sense of humor at all.

Waiting for part III....
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04
    Nice story so far, but based on previous traveling experience, you left out where they gave everyone a very thorough body cavity search. Those folks (rightfully so) have no sense of humor at all.

Waiting for part III....
    No part three... I was never so much as patted down. My wife and daughter ironically were patted down earlier as my wife's belt set off they metal detector as the came through. Besides... any story involving me and a body cavity search would go to the grave with me.

Damn, Titus, that's quite a story. Glad you didn't suddenly disappear on an all expenses paid vacation to Cuba.

S.

Damnn! That musta been scary.

If they ask you if you have any weapons on your person, don't respond by flexing and saying "nothing but these guns."

Some kid in my old highschool did it and was held in questioning for 2 hours.
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

Quote Originally Posted by TheChadVIII View Post
    If they ask you if you have any weapons on your person, don't respond by flexing and saying "nothing but these guns."
    I would pay $100 to see Titus do that in front of an airport security gorilla. Maybe $200.

Yes, Bean, back from the dead. Like reruns in the summer, it's new to me!

S.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    For $5, I'd chide the ever living out of Titus.
    Why would anyone pay to see you or any of us do something we do all the time without any promise of reward?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    Why would anyone pay to see you or any of us do something we do all the time without any promise of reward?
    That's what I was thinking.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    You never know...

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    You never know...
    It wouldn't surprise me to learn that my wife had been paying you to do it for years.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me to learn that my wife had been paying you to do it for years.
    You talking to me?? Tell her to quit calling me, it is time for her to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    You talking to me?? Tell her to quit calling me, it is time for her to move on.

Dude, that humpey smiley at the end was cold. No need to rub it in.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel View Post
    Dude, that humpey smiley at the end was cold. No need to rub it in.

S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast