Thread: Gremlin in my brakes :(

Tire Warmer

Default Gremlin in my brakes :(

I have this funky issue with my brakes, if anyone has some suggestions please let me know!

When ever I apply "normal" force to my brakes I get a very loud clunk / crunch noise from the rear. I originally thought it was the front and went ahead and replaced the pads. Upon inspection the rear pads have plenty of "pad" left on them. The noise seems to go away under "heavy" pedal force and I can usually only hear the noise at low speeds (driving through my parking garage) but that may be because the top is always down and it's hard to hear the brakes over the wind / stereo.

My inspection is past due and I'm not really driving the car right now which is a total shame, so if you can think of anything please let me know. Also i live at 75 and Mockingbird if any area posters want to meet and go for a ride / look.

-Brent

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Check the calipers - make sure they are 'sliding' on the slider pins. Miata calipers like to seize up at times, especially if the pins aren't kept lubed.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Check the calipers - make sure they are 'sliding' on the slider pins. Miata calipers like to seize up at times, especially if the pins aren't kept lubed.
    Yea make sure the slider pins actaully slide! Also have you adjusted the rear brakes??
    Last edited by POS Racing; 07-28-2005 at 09:52 AM.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by brentr
    ... i live at 75 and Mockingbird if any area posters want to meet and go for a ride / look.

-Brent
    I work off of Mockingbird and 183... if you'd like to come by some afternoon I can take a look for you.

Just PM me for details...

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Ah, so that's what that was! Guess I need to use more lube!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...