Thread: Lesson Learned -

Unhappy Lesson Learned -

I was out washing the VW today when the thought to rotate my tires entered my head. So, I whipped out the 2 ton floor jack and went to jacking the side of the car enough to get the tires in the air... now mind you, I yet to add the detail that I'm not working in the garage but in my driveway... my slanted driveway.

(So begins my stupidity!
    )

So I get the wheels off the driver's side and left the car in the air.

Now, it's not what you think... the jack didn't collapse.

So I get to washing the inside and outside of my BBS'... and when I finished the wheel that went on the driver's side rear, I found my problem. The rotor had turned on the spindle and I couldn't get the wheel back on because the rotor holes and spindle didnt sync. I tried to turn the rotor but the parking brake was on!

(So now continues my stupidity!)

I opened the car door and dissengaged the parking brake. Again, the car was in the air on the slanted drive. I think you can see what happened next...

The weight of the car pushed against the passenger side wheels and the car fell back on it's undercarriage... tipping my jack and crushing it underneath the car's rail. Thankfully I got out of the damned way before it fell down... but it was way too late for my nice floor jack.

The jack remained twisted underneath the rail and held the car up just enough. Thankfully I had another floor jack sitting in the garage and quickly ran to get it. I lifted the car up and got the first jack out and proceeded to quickly put on the remaining wheels...

So moral of the story?

Don't do what I did.

Now I'm off to Sears.com to pick up another jack... ugh.

Dang!

On a VW don't have conventional wheel studs do they? They come clean off when you pull the lug don't they??

I'm glad your OK!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Glad you weren't hurt Beanie! Any damage on the V'Dub?

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Glad you weren't hurt Beanie! Any damage on the V'Dub?
    Thankfully I'm fine... but the 'dub has a nice ugly pinched rail now...

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Thankfully I'm fine... but the 'dub has a nice ugly pinched rail now...
    So it looks like my car!

Sorry to hear that, 3Bean. I never have understood why some German marques still use lug bolts instead of lug nuts.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Yikes! Glad to hear your feet and everything else important was outta they way!

Good news is the Jack is on sale again

Item #50188
    3ton Jack (5 1/4" to 19 3/4")
    2x Jack Stands
    Creeper.

All for $89.99 according to the flyer that showed up in my mailbox... Planning to get one myself here this week if a check shows up
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I never have understood why some German marques still use lug bolts instead of lug nuts.
    And that very thing will drive you nuts when trying to hold a wheel with one hand and turn a wrench with the other while hoping that neither the wheel or the rotor move... or the spindle for that matter.

I know a guy who had a car fall on his head, he talks loud.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13
    I know a guy who had a car fall on his head, he talks loud.

its a good jack, but wont fit under my car without driving up on some blocks...
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Quote Originally Posted by fwMiata
    its a good jack, but wont fit under my car without driving up on some blocks...
    My VW is lowered on H&R coilovers so there is less than 3 inches of space under the front end. The all aluminium Sears jack is the only one that will get under without using the blocks.

Glad to hear you're OK, Bean!

Do they make a kit to convert to studs? That would seem to be the way to go.

Chuck

I want to see a picture of that jack. Good to hear the important parts were out of the way beano.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    I want to see a picture of that jack. Good to hear the important parts were out of the way beano.
    That's what I was thinking....

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    I'll snap a couple tonight when I get home...