Thread: New Civic Details -- CRX coming; LSD for Si

Default New Civic Details -- CRX coming; LSD for Si

Linkie.

Honda Builds a Better Civic: Still no double wishbones but a CRX is coming in two years

MARK VAUGHN

Posted Date: 7/26/05

The new 2006 Honda Civic, due this fall, is more fun to drive than the car it replaces, our spies tell us, and there will even be a return of the racer’s favorite CRX badge in 2007. That’s not bad news, is it?

Those we spoke to who have driven the new Civic were enthusiastic about it.

“It’s an awesome car. It drives like the Integra Type R,” said one. [We shall see. Ed.]

“This is exactly what Honda needs,” said another.

And these were performance-lovin’ guys.

Though Honda calls it an “all-new” car, a number of platform and suspension pieces either carry over or are only slightly revised.

The new Civic makes those gains without a return to double wishbones in front. The new suspension still has MacPherson struts. The rear suspension is also “revised,” but details are scarce. Expect a slightly tighter multilink setup.

Top of the engine chart is the 200-hp version of the K20 four-cylinder that will power the Civic Si and CRX. Civic Si— the most powerful Civic ever, according to Honda—will bow at the Specialty Equipment Market Association show in Las Vegas this November.

Of course, with the new SAE horsepower ratings, that 200-hp figure might wind up being 197, which doesn’t quite have the same ring to it as 200. Honda is wringing its corporate hands over that. Even so, a 197-hp rating is still better than the 160 hp of today’s Si, though maybe even that’s now 158 or so, SAE.

The new Si engine will have 16 valves operated by dual overhead cams and i-VTEC, or variable lift electronic control with intelligence. Redline will be 8000 rpm. The Si engine will be mated to a six-speed manual and it will get a helical limited-slip differential. It will ensure power goes to the ground instead of spinning the inside-front tire uselessly.

Most of the Civic lineup will have a new 1.8-liter four that will make more power and offer a 6 percent improvement in fuel economy. Honda says the 1.8 offers the acceleration of a 2.0-liter and the fuel economy of a 1.5-liter engine. The 1.8 uses improved i-VTEC, drive-by-wire and variable-length intake runners to achieve its increased performance. Peak power is 140 hp and peak torque is 128 lb-ft, though there are suggestions a 155- or 160-hp version could be coming.

The 2006 Civic line will get a new hybrid engine that will be 20 percent more efficient than today’s. The gasoline engine portion of the hybrid will be 1.3 liters and offer three phases of i-VTEC, one for low rpm, one for high and one for idle. At idle the gas engine shuts down, restarting when the driver steps on the gas.

All that running gear will be placed in what Honda calls a new body from the floorpan up. Standard wheels are expected to be 15 inches, with 16-inch wheels on the EX and 17-inch wheels on the Si.

The Civic will come in two body styles, a four-door sedan and a two-door coupe. Sources say the bodies are slightly longer and wider. Combined with a slightly more cab-forward style, interior space is thus opened up. The Civic dash, meanwhile, is two-tiered, with an instrument binnacle bulging out of it. The interior generally gets favorable reviews from those who have seen it.

The slightly larger 2006 Civic will move it upscale just enough to make room for the coming five-door Jazz/Fit, due in the first half of next year. That smaller car will be aimed at Scion and at whatever Nissan decides to call its entry-level youth-oriented line. Stay tuned for word on all that.
    -----------------------------------------

Sounds like Honda hit every note they needed to hit. Can't wait to see it and it.

S.
    Last edited by srivendel; 07-26-2005 at 10:08 AM.

every note except for the last part there... Moving a Civic UPSCALE?

A Civic is supposed to define compact car... now they're adding a car beneath it? Hmm...

Eh, sounds cool... Wonder what pricing will be?
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

I often miss my CRX. I should never have let them talk me into taking it on trade for the Jeep.

It's GOOD to see them making it again. Let's just hope they go more for the classic than that stupid-azz Del Sol... Think LIGHT, SMALL, happy thoughts...

Chuck

I'll believe a new CRX when I see it. That rumor (Honda will soon be introducing a new CRX!) has surfaced every year since about 1992.

Sounds like a pretty competent car, but I still don't like the beached whale styling of the new Accord and Civic. The TSX and TL have much nicer, tauter lines. Still, I miss the simple, well-proportioned and uncomplicated good looks of the EG & EK Civics and the last-gen Integra. I'd really like to add a nice, unmolested Championship White '98 Type R to the collection some day.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I'd really like to add a nice, unmolested Championship White '98 Type R to the collection some day.
    Unmolested and Type R in the same sentence?

I dont think ill ever buy a civic again.. 8000 RPM oh god..

Quote Originally Posted by Tool
    8000 RPM oh god..
    Is that oh god yes, or oh god no???
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!

I dont think ill ever buy a civic again.. 8000 RPM oh god..
    Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    Is that oh god yes, or oh god no???
    I really don't think God has anything to do with this does he?

its oh god no, 8000 rpms no way man..

And yet, I still don't really understand where you stand on it. ??:

Question

What's wrong with 8,000 rpms? The more [that the engine can handle] the merrier, as far as I'm concerned...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

S.

When I was 18 I would have thought reving to 8000 RPMS is cool.. and maybe for a weekend car I could mess around with it..

But as I get older, it seems im more interested in making HP low in the RPM range..
    When I was younger I had a del sol and a miata and loved it..

But now I hardly ever speed, but I like the feel of the HP without going fast.. my only option is torque.. I have nothing against Hondas I think they are neat cars its just not my thing anymore..

Although I always thought the miata felt torqy..

hey srivendel if you dont think I know what im talking about then answer me this..

If you make 200 Horse Power at 5252 RPMS how much torque are you making at 5252 RPMS..

the same.. duh...
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..

ok 200 HP at 8000 RPMS how much torque at 8000 RPMS..

ok 200 HP at 8000 RPMS how much torque at 8000 RPMS..
    Sigh...

(Torque x Engine speed) / 5,252 = Horsepower

You do the math, Sparky. Then go bother some other board.

Better yet, let me save you the trouble, The answer is 131.1 ft-lbs of torque. Now please go away.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I was asking srivendel not you come on..

I never said you don't know what you're talking about. I said you don't bother to express yourself clearly most of the time. You're obviously capable of writing complete sentences, which means there's no excuse when you fail to do so.

Lighten up.

S.