Thread: Z4 Sales Plunge; BMW to Introduce Coupe to Stop the Bleeding?

Default Z4 Sales Plunge; BMW to Introduce Coupe to Stop the Bleeding?

Sales of the Z4 have not met BMW’s expectations, falling every year since the car’s introduction in 2002 to 25,298 units this year. A coupe version of the Z4 is being planned to bolster sales until the car’s replacement, dubbed the E89, arrives in 2009. The coupe appears to have a Bangle butt, although overall we think the look is more pleasing than the awkward BMW M Coupe that appeared near the end of the first generation’s run. If the coupe does sell well, expect another coupe version of the E89 when it debuts.

Linkie.

S.

Default It just keeps gettin' worse...

"That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

I don't get it. Don't all cars sell best the first few years of a new model, and then begin a steady decline? Isn't that why they introduce new models? Are BMW’s expectations of a vehicle life cycle different then the rest of the industry? "If our cars don't knock the socks off the public at first, it will give us the ability to increase model sales without improving anything. Trust us... the design will grow on them and the sales will improve!"

they just need to make it an M4 roadster version...
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

I bet the rear 3/4 shot of that car is crap-tacular
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    I don't get it. Don't all cars sell best the first few years of a new model, and then begin a steady decline? Isn't that why they introduce new models? Are BMW’s expectations of a vehicle life cycle different then the rest of the industry?
    No, I think the writer just didn't quite understand the business model.

In BMW's case, Z4 sales have never met expectations, from the first model year. I think the percentage by which those expectations have been missed has also grown every year.

As for the Z4, it's never been on my list of good looking cars. The proportions are all wrong, and the car looks like a caricature to me.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    they just need to make it an M4 roadster version...
    You mean M roadster?

The last M roadster was a beast (S54 motor 315hp), easily better than any non exotic roadster out there except maybe the Elise.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
    You mean M roadster?

The last M roadster was a beast (S54 motor 315hp), easily better than any non exotic roadster out there except maybe the Elise.
    I'd liken the S54 M Roadster to a neo-Shelby Cobra - a lot of motor, but not much chassis to go with it. It's a hoot to drive in a Germanic, knuckle-dragging kind of way, but I'd take an S2000 over one at the track any day of the week.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

1 word.... BARF!

That Z4 looks like a Z3 and a 350Z snuck out to a hotel one night....
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!