Thread: Geeky Mac/Apple Questions

Default Geeky Computer Questions

OK. Here's the story: We're planning on replacing my ageing Dell laptop with something shiny and new.

New computer will be used for:

* Internet
    * Music (some mixing)
    * Working from home
    * DVD watching

As for games, my plan is to buy an Xbox 360 or PS3 in the future and play games USING THE SAME MONITOR AS THE COMPUTER (this is important).

So, I've gone around and around on this issue. Obviously, web surfing and working from home can be done on almost any machine. Music mixing requires more horsepower, but doesn't get too intense until you're doing original composition, which is beyond my skill set. The computer must be good for DVD playback, too, as the computer room is where we'll do lots of DVD watching.

The monitor is, obviously, important. The computer, less so. What I want is a computer that can perform all of the above tasks, and a monitor that will be useful well into the future (ie. when I upgrade the computer in 3-4 years, I'd like to use the same monitor).

Current thinking is this: Mac mini with 20" Apple Cinema Display. Xbox 360 in 2006 for games, also run through the Cinema Display.

I'm really pretty sick of Windows, but I don't absolutely HAVE TO HAVE an Apple. The above combination is appealing because it combines a simple PC with a gorgeous monitor.

Space in the computer/DVD room/study is somewhat limited (we have a small house), so the 20" monitor will be plenty big when hung on the wall.

I'm sure I'm missing something here. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

S.
    Last edited by srivendel; 07-28-2005 at 03:58 PM.

An Apple Cinema monitor is fine, but how about a Projector to attach them to and then the DVD/Xbox or PS can be experienced in much grander scale? Most have SVGA/XGA connections so attaching a computer to it will make for some great displays as well?

Note (possibly cheaper too)

I got an add email from Apple today for the mini and I was thinking how slick it is. My thought was a Mini with a 40" Plasma TV. :)

Wife-approved budget for this rig is $2,000, give or take. It's unclear whether that includes the Xbox 360, so I have to assume it doesn't.

Projectors are still pretty pricey, right?

iMac won't work because you have to ditch the monitor when you upgrade the CPU, which seems pretty wasteful to me. Titus: the form factor of the mini is a triumph of industrial design. It sort of reminds me of a pet rock.

S.

you get them for under 1 grand that do quite well. 700-900 will get you a nice one. Think of it as a investment that will pay for itself when you dont want to go to the theatre any more

Quote Originally Posted by wrxmr2eater
    you get them for under 1 grand that do quite well. 700-900 will get you a nice one. Think of it as a investment that will pay for itself when you dont want to go to the theatre any more
    Just make SURE that you do your research on projectors... You want a balance of bulb life AND cheap bulb cost... Some of those projector bulbs run upwards of a few hundred dollars... and that's just for the cheap projectors...
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

<thread drift>
    projector bulbs do burn out, but usually after @4000 hours. At that point say 200 dollars is spent, well then it would take 8 bulbs to get you to the cost of one of the more inexpensive 41" plasma screens. Your projector will still be working however, and the plasma screens life is over (@30000 hours) leaving you to spend the 2000 again to replace it. All that time your image has been at about 9ft high the wall of your office/game room. I'd take that trade.
    </thread drift>

You can go wrong either way, 2000 would get you a nice computer system and screen, and there are game adapters to fit whichever screen you buy. They make those great leather couches in the entertainment section of the stores, go spend a few weekends in one deciding what you want to do with your allowance.

If the computer happened to be Intel based rather than MAC though you would have more money to spend on the screen. Run Linux instead of Windows. It can meet the needs you put down.

If the computer happened to be Intel based rather than MAC though ...
    Don't know if you are aware of this or not, but soon, MACs will be Intel Based... LINKIE
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Yes, but those wont make it to consumers soon. I figure srivendel will get the itch to make this happen before those are on the market.

Yes, but those wont make it to consumers soon. I figure srivendel will get the itch to make this happen before those are on the market.
    Indeed. That's part of the strategy for buying a good monitor. Then when the Intel-based minis roll around, I can upgrade the CPU and keep my peripherals. I'm just not a "power user" when it comes to my PC. I use it a LOT, but not for anything processor-intensive.

I figure video games can be run through the Xbox 360 (or PS3) using the same monitor, so processing HP just isn't a concern. Thus, the elegance of Tiger and the cost of the mini are very appealing.

S.

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

I think the miniMac is a good fit for the needs you describe. But the Apple displays, beautiful as they are, are not the best bang for the buck. Depending when you buy, you can get LCDs from Dell in 20" widescreen for $389 or 24" widescreen for $780. (These are from http://dealmac.com/sections/displays-TVs.html)

But I have to ask... how can you stand to watch movies sitting at a desk? Why not get a limited-resolution LCD TV (say 30", 1280x768) and plop down in a recliner with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse?

Actually, movie viewing will be in recliners positioned behind the desk. I agree: watching movies at a desk would suck.

Good catch on the Dell, and thanks. It turns out that that monitor and the Cinema Display use the exact same Hitachi part number for the display! That's why I appreciate the opportunity to bounce these questions off you guys.

S.