Thread: airbag light?

Default airbag light?

the airbag light on the dash blinks three times and according to miata.net it means:

Open Circuit or poor connection of power source circuit

I dunno what the heck this means. anyone willing to help a brutha out?

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by FstFrd00
    the airbag light on the dash blinks three times and according to miata.net it means:

Open Circuit or poor connection of power source circuit

I dunno what the heck this means. anyone willing to help a brutha out?

Russ
    The back-up battery under the dash may be dying on you... it's fairly easy to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    The back-up battery
    Huh? I have to admit I have never heard of this one.

Mine blinked forever, I finally changed out a blue box under the steering column. It's way up there though, so I just left it up there, and hooked up the new one that i got off a wrecked car.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Huh? I have to admit I have never heard of this one.
    There exists under the dash a small back-up battery that powers the air bag system.

Mine was blinking 10 times before I changed anything, so my problem was different.

The enthusiast manual says: Probable cause: fault in power supply to the system. First it says to check the voltage of the battery if under 9 volts check and charge the battery,

Check the INJ 30A and AIR BAG 10a fuses in the main fuse block in the engine compartment. Check the air bag 15a and engine 15a fuses in fuse box No.1 (under the dash panel) If all are okay, remove the knee protector and disconnect the orange and blue clock spring connectors. Check the connection the the backup battery below the diagnostic module. IF the connection is okay, unplug the wiring connector and check the voltage betwen the backup battery connector(G/R) wire and ground. If 0 volts are shown, replace the wiring harness to the backup battery.

Hope that helps some. I highly recomment the Enthusiasts manual by Rod Grainger and pete Shoemark Veloce publishing PLC
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

I fixed mine in the 92 B&T by replacing 5 leaky capacitors in the airbag computer module...

The info is out on the pointy board.

DO NOT LEAVE YOUR SYSTEM RUNNING WITH THREE BLINKS! Unplug the airbag computer until you fix the problem. If the computer is left in an error state too long it will self destruct - it will blow the internal fuse, leaving you with the dreaded 10 blink code-of-module-death.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!