Thread: Cleaning guage "glass"

Default Cleaning gauge "glass"

I have something smeared across my gauge cover. What should I use to clean this? Since it is plastic, is there a specific product I should use? I have heard bad things about this scratching and almost melting, or smearing. Thanks
    Last edited by Majik; 08-01-2005 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Its hard being a tard.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I'd try soap/water and a soft cloth. Don't use any petroleum based stuff (ie, WD-40). I've got some plastic polish if you want to try that after you get the crud off of it.

If you can possibly rinse it before you start to rub that is a great way to start then use a mild dishsoap like Dial, optical Labs even use this on Optical grade lenses, also dont use any paper products like paper towels that will also scratch.
    I would suggest a Microfiber cloth or cotton (soft) cloth to remove the gunk.
    If its gummy, I would suggest using Goo Gone I have used this on Plastic (cr-39), & (Polycarb lenses)...the last being most likely what the cover is made of.
    I have not had a problem with either melting or scratching, using these cleaning methods.
    Let me know if this helps.
    99 Miata Black

I tried soap and water, then some simple green. Didnt seem to work, actually it just spread it around. I am thinking it is some kind of cleaner, maybe 303 or something I used on the interior. I am going to go by oriely and get some plastic cleaner. I also have some gunk remover, Ill see if it is safe for plastic. Worst case, the part is $20 from Mazdaspeed, but Id rather not buy a new one.

When cleaning or removing small scratches from clear plastics, I'll use a line of product from a company called Novus. Three "stages" are available depending on depth of scratches.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

I really dont think the goo gone would hurt it and would likely remove it.
    just dont use acetone.
    You may even try denatured alcohol, that doesnt harm polycarbonate either.
    Last edited by Billy Blaze; 08-03-2005 at 04:47 PM.
    99 Miata Black

Arrow cleaning

i use windex wipies on plastic and it works nice but i would go with the goo gone in your case....
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Worst case, the part is $20 from Mazdaspeed, but Id rather not buy a new one.
    Shuhart has two of these from his parts cars.

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Miata
    Shuhart has two of these from his parts cars.
    Oh yeah I might save a couple of bucks up and get a header blanket and a new gauge cover too!