Thread: Starting a collection

Default Starting a collection

Yes, I'm starting a collection of parts for my "new" car. :)
    I just got a box of goodies from Trussville yesterday for the upcoming belt changes & such. Sadly, I find that the box is entirely too small and doesn't take up nearly enough space in my humble dwelling. Soooooo...
    I ordered a couple of sets of tires last night. RT-215s will be on the way soon for the Miata, and some offset sized Ziex 512s for the other car.
    If you'd like to recommend some other parts, let me know. Maybe some motor mounts?
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Quote Originally Posted by juxt3r
    I just got a box of goodies from Trussville yesterday for the upcoming belt changes & such. Sadly, I find that the box is entirely too small and doesn't take up nearly enough space in my humble dwelling. Soooooo...
    I ordered a couple of sets of tires last night. RT-215s will be on the way soon for the Miata, and some offset sized Ziex 512s for the other car.
    If you'd like to recommend some other parts, let me know. Maybe some motor mounts?
    Well this is my favorite mod for my '92:

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell

mmmm...
    torque on demand is our friend. :)
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

mmmm...
    torque on demand is our friend. :)
    To quote Pirelli:

Power is nothing without control.

I'm looking at a certain yellow Miata driver when I say that...

I'm looking at a certain yellow Miata driver when I say that...
    You know, that has really been bugging me the way it slid out like that Saturday.... Then I took the car to work the other day, and it did it again, but even worse.... I was downtown, leaving work in rush hour traffic... I gave it a little gas to get through the whole in the cross traffic and onto the freeway on-ramp. Weee! I'm drifting through a downtown intersection at rush hour. It occurred to me that the tires were cold both times it happened. This is on Azenis RT215s that are a year and a half old with about 10k miles on them. Are old Azenis always this bad when cold?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Are old Azenis always this bad when cold?
    Azenis do get harder as they age (most tires do). 10K is nearing the end of their useful life too. What pressure are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Azenis do get harder as they age (most tires do). What pressure are you running?
    28 psi

Been aligned lately?
    Hellllllll No.

I can recommend not to amass a large collection of parts like I did! I have a waterlocked 1.6 , which was the replacement for the 90 crank failure, and a whole mess of crap from 2 Miatas cluttering up the garage.

Get that timing belt done and take care of 'er!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Bring some goodies to the MadMerv swap meet. :)

I'll post up soon to see if anyone wants to be my timing belt buddy...lol.
    Tomorrow I get to run to Dallas Frame for a new alignment. :)

Talking

You find anything to get that old guy smell out of that car!

I believe that car may already have a decent alignment; it was always pretty quick back in the days when it wore magnetic numbers!

The fella between me & sammm said he had an alignment done. I'd say the current spec is pretty good, but it at least needs a little touch up, as the wheel cants to the left, and I'm sure I weigh a bit less than either Andy or sammm (nothing personal, big guy... :) )
    Nice picture of the sled, btw. Reminds me that I'm considering another set of wheels.
    That's just all I need right now is more wheels in the place.

It occurred to me that the tires were cold both times it happened. This is on Azenis RT215s that are a year and a half old with about 10k miles on them. Are old Azenis always this bad when cold?
    Cold tires? At this time of year? Where are you livin', Sparky?

At this time of year your tires are never really "cold" - in fact, if you put a pyrometer on them I'll bet you'll find that they're over 100 degrees F when you get in to drive home (if you park outside during the day), and 85-90+ even if you're in a parking garage.

If you're slip-sliding your way through traffic, I'd suspect the age and mileage of those tires are a lot more to blame than the temp.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    If you're slip-sliding your way through traffic, I'd suspect the age and mileage of those tires are a lot more to blame than the temp.
    I'd say it's more a lack of skills!!

Oh, that's right! I went there!

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Cold tires? At this time of year? Where are you livin', Sparky?

At this time of year your tires are never really "cold" - in fact, if you put a pyrometer on them I'll bet you'll find that they're over 100 degrees F when you get in to drive home (if you park outside during the day), and 85-90+ even if you're in a parking garage.

OK... I don't know much about tires (big shock there) but I was speaking of cold in relative terms. I do park 3 levels UNDERGROUND so we are likely talking 80-85. If you say that is warm enough to overcome a temperature related grip issues, I believe you. It just seems they grip better after I have been driving around for a while. Perhaps the big sarcastic guy with a stick is half right and it takes me a few minutes behind the wheel to remember what I am doing.

I'd say it's more a lack of skills!!

Oh, that's right! I went there!
    I'm the first one to admit that I am likely one of (or the) least skilled drivers on this board, and I did give it to much gas that first time when you were in front of me, but the downtown one just really surprised me.

I'm the first one to admit that I am likely one of (or the) least skilled drivers on this board, and I did give it to much gas that first time when you were in front of me, but the downtown one just really surprised me.
    Well, it was fun watching that tail end come around... but you did a great job catching it! It spooked the hell out of the guy behind you!