Thread: Front Bumper Plastic Surgery for Cooling

Default Front Bumper Plastic Surgery for Cooling

While at the MSR track Sunday, I noticed a certain yellow turbo miata. It had a Huge hole in the front bumper pointing right to the upper part of the radiator above the intercooler. I WANT a hole in my bumber too!!

Does anyone have any experience at cutting through the ABS nose and removing part of the foam bumber re-inforcement behind the bumber?

We can discuss, opening up a hole in the hood to let all this new found air out too.

I know this will create a bunch of aero drag, but I need to get the temps down on the Turbo, if I am going to run the beast in the summer at the track. I am tired of this two sessions and out crap.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

What are you running for an intercooler?

FM Intercooler
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

I believe there is an aftermarket front bumper with a vent like you speak of.

The yellow car with the HOLES (no headlights) is Keith Vergas' turbo Spec Miata.....VERY FAST!!!!

Removing the nose is not difficult. I think there are nine 10mm nuts across the top, just under the front of the hood. The corner ones, along with two each that attach to the fenders are the most difficult to get at. The rest is pretty simple. Once that is off, there are four big bolts monting that huge ugly white hunk of plastic, but you could probably use a hole saw on it without removing it. Unless you also plan on cutting into the front radiator horizontal mounting, I don't really see much advantage to getting air where you need it. Talk with Keith the next time you see him. My personal opinion is that all those holes do little to help cooling, and only one is needed for intake air. Venting the hood on the backside of the radiator makes much more sense.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by Screamin'Screw
    I know this will create a bunch of aero drag, but I need to get the temps down on the Turbo, if I am going to run the beast in the summer at the track. I am tired of this two sessions and out crap.
    What about putting some type of louvered vents on the front fenders, similar to some of the older vettes? That should certainly pull some of that heat out. I've seen some people try raising the back of the hood, but I believe that my be a high-pressure area, so that's probably counter-productive. I guess you could take 3bean's 3" hole saw to the firewall and use some H-D dryer vent thru the doors and out the back :)

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    The yellow car with the HOLES (no headlights) is Keith Vergas' turbo Spec Miata.....VERY FAST!!!!
    Yah, Keith's car is stupid fast! Try to get a ride sometime, you'll be sore for days!

Maybe get one of those nice heat extractor hoods for your car. There are several nice ones on adrenaline racing's site or FM makes one too. If you don't need ac on the car then removing it will make a huge improvement in airflow through the radiator.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Oh,

I knew who's car it was. I was just keeping ot off the web. I was hoping somebody has tried this before. Keith sent his out to a body shop to have it done, but he has a BIGGER car budget than I do.

So you are saying the nose comes off pretty easily huh. Any hidden bolts I need to be aware of?
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

I am trying to do this on a shoestring budget. Big money goes for track time and tires, not punching holes.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

just those three at the corners........
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Well, if you want a spare hood to make a vented hood out of, I get my Simpson hood back from getting fixed in the next day so the black primer replacement I have on the car now will be up for sale for cheap.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

Define Cheap and you might have a pre-sale.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

well, $100 I guess...that is negotiable, I'm just throwing a number out. I think I got it for around $200. It's a new aftermarket replacement and is unpainted, just the black primer stuff it came with.

Even that great price might be too high for this cheap bastard.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

All Done!

The Turbo has a nice gaping hole in its nose. The nose cuts very easily with a jig saw and a fine tooth blade.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

All Done!

The Turbo has a nice gaping hole in its nose. The nose cuts very easily with a jig saw and a fine tooth blade.
    Pictures?

No pic server. It's really strait forward.

1. Remove bumper cover (And black cover near hood latch)
    2. Remove foam piece
    3. temporarily reinstall bumper cover
    4. Mark the lower bumber with a Fine point sharpie (on the inside)
    I used a sharpie on the inside of the bumper to get a rough idear where the bumper was.
    5. Make a guide about 3" with paper.
    6. Use the little crease as a guide and mark 3" off the crease all along the bumper
    7. Make another guide out of paper and mark about 6.5" off the crease.
    You now have 2 parallel lines the exactr distance off the crease line in the bumber.
    8. Mark the vertical center line in the bumber spliting the upright between the holes for the Mazda logo
    9. Measure an equal distance from the center lin on both sides (use a couple of marks). Now mark the outside edges. You have a parallel rectangle. Whoo WHoo
    10. I used a tuna can to round off the edges by marking it with a sharpie.

CHECK YOUR MARKINGS by temporarily reinstalling the bumber and use a flashlight to see where your lines are

I did 4 sets of markings before I started cutting

Now the cutting......

1. Have a beer and then a shot of your favorite whiskey
    2. Use a drill with a large bit to drill two holes NEAR the upper and lower line
    3. Use a 18-20 tpi (teeth per inch) blade on the jigsaw to cut the strait lines.
    4. Switch to a Scroll saw blade for any rounded areas
    5. Re-install bumper

Have another beer and take a nap.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Talking

No pic server.
    Show your support of this forum!
    From the inception of MME (January 2004), all the resources needed and used to keep this website/forum up and running have been funded by tailchaser. To that end, we are now accepting donations to help pay for all of this. Please note that this is strictly voluntary. The forums will continue to remain free to one and all - and we will avoid banner advertising, pop-ups and other abominations. The spiffy new software the forum is running on is not freeware like the original was, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

There are three options if you'd like to contribute:

1. $10 will get you file/picture upload privileges, larger avatar file size, and other goodies for a full year!
    2. $25 will get you a 2 year subscription and a set of MME window decals. Decals will be available for pickup from one of our admins as soon as your payment is verified. If you need them mailed to you, please contact us to make arrangements.
    3. Any amount less than $10 you feel comfortable with - contact us to find out how to send non-standard payments.
    Please click the link below to show your support of MME today! Thank you.
    Linkie