Thread: Hyundai Getz

Default Hyundai Getz

Never, ever again will I consider the Miata slow in a straight line.

My wife and I just got back from a week wandering through the highlands of Scotland and the Isle of Skye. We had a Hyundai Getz rental car, with a 1.1L engine and 5-speed manual box. While it handled decently (certainly much better than my Accord), it was the most anemic car I've ever driven! Imagine driving through the mountains in a car with 66 crank horsepower!

The Getz was the ultimate momentum car, since it accelerated like a drunken turtle. On the narrow two-lane mountain roads, I would have to start accelerating to pass a slower car from a hundred yards back, and just hope that the oncoming lane was clear when I got there, or else I'd squander all that precious momentum. Still, I had a lot of fun driving hundreds of miles of absolutely amazing roads, and I even managed to pass - and drop - an early NSX in the hills near the south end of Loch Ness.

You know what they say - "it's always more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow".

That being said, I'll make sure to rent something much more powerful the next time we're back. Like a '92 Civic LX or something.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    You know what they say - "it's always more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow".
    True dat!

You lucky bastard! Sounds like ya had a wonderful time gallivanting through the Highlands! I can't wait till I can afford a vacation like that. Any pics?
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66
    True dat!

You lucky bastard! Sounds like ya had a wonderful time gallivanting through the Highlands! I can't wait till I can afford a vacation like that. Any pics?
    I've got a couple hundred to sort through. Once I get done (and finish packing for htis weekend's move!), I'll post some of the better ones.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Get something with the steering wheel on the correct side, too.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I've got a couple hundred to sort through. Once I get done (and finish packing for htis weekend's move!), I'll post some of the better ones.
    Hurry!! I'm going there in a month's time. Sounds fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65
    Hurry!! I'm going there in a month's time. Sounds fantastic.
    What part of the country are you going to? I can recommend some things to do and places to see, if you're interested.
    Iain

We're going to Dundee so I can pass a pre-marriage inspection by Audrey's family and friends. Wish me luck!