Thread: 1993 Stock Miata Turbo Recommendations?

Question 1993 Stock Miata Turbo Recommendations?

My winter time project this year is going to be putting a Turbo into the Miata with a tight budget. I am thinking of having the engine worked on as well. 113,000 miles and not only are all the seals leaking but I do see a little smoke in the exhaust when cold.

I have no Idea of where to start with this so please feel free to pour in recommendations. I will have the use of a garage and hoist all winter if I need it.

I need information from the ground up. Please Help.

Is it possible to put an ECU fuel remapping device like I do on my racing superbikes?

My wife really want's to get it on the track next year.
    If you cant race it, why buy it?

Honda 650XR SuperMotard
    Suzuki GSXR 1000

Your choices are pretty wide open.

You might want to keep an eye out for 1.6L LINK setups on Ebay. Some LINK owners are coverting to newer computers.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

I woud try and define your budget and map out a rough list of budget allocations. DON'T forget cooling unless you want this to be a winter only car.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

www.miataturbo.net is a greddy board with lots of good info. The Greddy kit is about $1200 bare bones and will give you 30-40 more horse with LOTS of headroom. It isnt hard to install and probably easiest way to get it done if you havent built a system before.

Chris
    Chris - 2014 Chevrolet Camaro SS
    2013 Red Miata Sport
    2006 Winning Blue Miata
    2000 Red Miata
    2011 Red Mazda2
    2015 Smart Electric

Suspension Modder

if your interested i have a gt25R ball bearing turbo for sale that came from my fmII kit. I went with a little larger turbo. the gt has very little to no shaft play and put 240 hp to the rear. it's $300 if your interested, also one of my good friends is selling his link set up bc he has gone to the hydra nemisis, i will find out what he wants for it. just give me a shout :grin:
    Drifting, where tire life is measured in minutes not miles!

Quote Originally Posted by MSR Red Miata
    if your interested i have a gt25R ball bearing turbo for sale that came from my fmII kit. I went with a little larger turbo. the gt has very little to no shaft play and put 240 hp to the rear. it's $300 if your interested, also one of my good friends is selling his link set up bc he has gone to the hydra nemisis, i will find out what he wants for it. just give me a shout :grin:
    What version link... and how much!!

Ah yes, the AC. I will be leaving that out. I have been commuting with the heat and the top down and it's really not that bad as long as you keep the miata rolling.

Thanks for the info guys.

Honda 650XR SuperMotard
    Suzuki GSXR 1000

Suspension Modder

i just talk to riley and it is for a 1.8L he has all the paper work with it didn't know as far as what version it is $600 just give me a shout if interested.
    Drifting, where tire life is measured in minutes not miles!

What do I have to do with the Exhaust on it when I put on a Turbo? Whats the deal with the ball bearing turbo. I am really a newbie when It comes to turbo's.

I have a brand new spare drive shaft, do I have to get a hefty drive train for it, or will stock hold up?

I also have a rattle in the tranny when I change gears, it really sounds like a piece of metal is bouncing around when I shift or put the clutch in while moving. So Confused?

With those used Turbo's, what all do I need to do, what all comes with them, and how long will it take for me to put it on?

Honda 650XR SuperMotard
    Suzuki GSXR 1000

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Crain
    What do I have to do with the Exhaust on it when I put on a Turbo? Whats the deal with the ball bearing turbo. I am really a newbie when It comes to turbo's.

I have a brand new spare drive shaft, do I have to get a hefty drive train for it, or will stock hold up?

I also have a rattle in the tranny when I change gears, it really sounds like a piece of metal is bouncing around when I shift or put the clutch in while moving. So Confused?

With those used Turbo's, what all do I need to do, what all comes with them, and how long will it take for me to put it on?

That rattle in your transmision might be broken teeth from your flywheel, have you ever put it in reverse while driving foward? lol, just a posibility, i'm not saying that this might be your case... but you might wanna check it out.
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Quote Originally Posted by Mouglie
    have you ever put it in reverse while driving foward?
    Mouglie....Have you done that???
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

Cool sticks

Quote Originally Posted by riverracer
    Mouglie....Have you done that???
    lol, no sir... i wouldn't dare... :afro:
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

I'd quickly replace my fluid if I were you or you'll be looking for another tranny real soon, as I did when my tranny a tooth or part of a tooth that found it's way between two other gears that ripped the tranny apart.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.