Thread: Passing Etiquette

* Mod Note - I split this off of the Classifieds... Bean *

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    If thats Gary, your about to get passed! :grin:
    Last edited by Treibenschnell; 08-25-2005 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    If thats Gary, your about to get passed! :grin:
    Not Gary... He had his white NA out there that day... I pulled away from that red NB with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    With all your supercharged fury!

Very nice...
    Yep. I have an issue with getting my self to brake aggressively (likely because I have never asked anyone to take the time to show me proper techniques), so I was braking early all day long. This caused that red car to catch me going in to each turn but I would put some good distance between us coming out of the turns thanks to the SC. I hope my inexperienced braking combined with his inability to pass a SC car didn’t frustrate him too bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Ahh... screw him... he was behind ya!
    HEHE! You can kinda tell it was happening when you look at the pic TC took a second earlier... here they are together:

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    This caused that red car to catch me going in to each turn but I would put some good distance between us coming out of the turns thanks to the SC. I hope my inexperienced braking combined with his inability to pass a SC car didn’t frustrate him too bad!
    FYI on track etiquette for those who don't know:

If someone behind you is catching up to you going into each turn, they are faster than you are. They may not be able to accelerate as fast down the straights as you can, but their overall lap times will be lower... if you'd just get your overpowered roadblock the hell out of their way and stop holding them up in the corners.

Rule of thumb - if the same car shows up in your mirrors right behind you more than once, you need to give them the opportunity to overtake you on the next straight. There is nothing more frustrating during a track day to be held up by a slower driver in a car that happens to be faster down the straights.

At most organized track days, Titus would have gotten a blue & yellow passing flag thrown at him for this type of behavior. Ignore that flag for a lap or two, and you'll get black flagged. It is very poor form to hold up a faster driver just because you've got more horsepower on the straights.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    FYI on track etiquette for those who don't know:

If someone behind you is catching up to you going into each turn, they are faster than you are. They may not be able to accelerate as fast down the straights as you can, but their overall lap times will be lower... if you'd just get your overpowered roadblock the hell out of their way and stop holding them up in the corners.

Rule of thumb - if the same car shows up in your mirrors right behind you more than once, you need to give them the opportunity to overtake you on the next straight. There is nothing more frustrating during a track day to be held up by a slower driver in a car that happens to be faster down the straights.

At most organized track days, Titus would have gotten a blue & yellow passing flag thrown at him for this type of behavior. Ignore that flag for a lap or two, and you'll get black flagged. It is very poor form to hold up a faster driver just because you've got more horsepower on the straights.
    I am aware of that, but this was the first non-lead follow run of the day for the beginner run group. If I remember correctly, they asked us not to pass on this run. Passing was allowed later in the day, but I had more then one car refuse to pass even when I slowed and gave them a wave.

Ok, not to be too picky here, but after spending MANY high school and early college days as a corner worker, I gotta jump in.

1) The passing flag is not an admonishment. It's shown to you only to indicate that you might be passed before the next corner station. Often, the job of wielding the passing flag is given to a more experienced worker as you have to pay close attention to what's happening on the track. Your goal is to show the flag only when you think the driver doesn't already know they're going to be passed. For example, something like what what you and Titus described -- two people engaged in racing and passing each other multiple times -- would be a time where you wouldn't throw the flag because both drivers are clearly aware of each other.

2) The passing flag is INFORMATIONAL ONLY. It's not a "get outta the way" flag, even though many misinformed non-pro drivers think so.

3) The black flag is only used based on rules infractions. (Well, the mechanical black flag is a different story, but that's not what you were talking about.) As the passing flag is informational only, there's no infraction, so no black flag.

That said, yeah at a "just drive 'round the track for fun" day it'd probably be nicer to let the guy get far enough ahead to allow you both the best experience. :)

Just wanted to clarify.

Chuck

PS: Funny story... I was working turn two at the GP of Dallas in '89 -- the turn onto the runway at Addison airport. Among all the other races (TA/Pro-V/S2000/Etc.) there was supposed to be a karting "demonstration" where some local enduro/sprint karters would run around the track "for fun." As the event progressed, the "demonstration" somehow became a "race" -- probably the stupidest idea ever considering that it was essentially "canyon racing" as there were armco barriers at the edge of probably 75% of the course. Doh! Anyway, I ended up blue-flagging the "kart race." Things were pretty calm until about 5 laps in when 2nd was catching up on the leader and going to pass after my turn. I show the leader the blue flag. The leader -- clearly not briefed at ALL at what the flags mean -- JAMS ON HIS BRAKES and gets rear-ended by 2nd. Luckily there was no damage and they both continued. The corner captain came over to me, stood there for a sec, and said, "Don't do that again, ok? They might get hurt. We'd have to white flag the ambulance and they'd think the race was over." :)

They may not be able to accelerate as fast down the straights as you can, but their overall lap times will be lower... if you'd just get your overpowered roadblock the hell out of their way and stop holding them up in the corners.
    That made me giggle!

Quote Originally Posted by ccage
    Ok, not to be too picky here, but after spending MANY high school and early college days as a corner worker, I gotta jump in.
    ccage, I completely agree with your take on passing and black flags under wheel-to-wheel racing conditions. However, I was talking about DE conditions, which are a little different.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw