Thread: US Not Expected to Be Top NC Market

Default US Not Expected to Be Top NC Market

From Autoweek:

Mazda expects Europe to be top market for new MX-5; Solstice, Sky blamed for shift

JAMES B. TREECE | Automotive News

Posted Date: 8/30/05

TOKYO -- Mazda Motor Corp. is predicting that Europe will replace North America as the largest market for the redesigned 2006 MX-5 Miata. The automaker blames the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky roadsters.

With fewer competitors, the Miata sold more strongly in North America, says Daniel Morris, Mazda's senior managing executive officer in charge of marketing, sales and customer service. Now the MX-5 must take on the 2006 Solstice, which went on sale this month, and the Sky next spring.

Mazda predicts that about 45 percent of MX-5 sales will be in Europe, or about 18,000 a year. North America will sell about 40 percent, or about 16,000.

------
    S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    From Autoweek:

Mazda expects Europe to be top market for new MX-5; Solstice, Sky blamed for shift

JAMES B. TREECE | Automotive News

Posted Date: 8/30/05

TOKYO -- Mazda Motor Corp. is predicting that Europe will replace North America as the largest market for the redesigned 2006 MX-5 Miata. The automaker blames the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky roadsters.

With fewer competitors, the Miata sold more strongly in North America, says Daniel Morris, Mazda's senior managing executive officer in charge of marketing, sales and customer service. Now the MX-5 must take on the 2006 Solstice, which went on sale this month, and the Sky next spring.

Mazda predicts that about 45 percent of MX-5 sales will be in Europe, or about 18,000 a year. North America will sell about 40 percent, or about 16,000.

------
    S.
    Interesting... 16k would actually not be that bad. The 99 sold about 33k, but that was coming off a gap in model years and a market that saw a lot of disposable income (pre-internet bubble burst). Since then, only one NB as sold more then 16k (18k for the 01).

That 16,000 a year is a pretty good increase on what Mazda sold with the NB lately isn't it?? (http://www.miata.net/news/sales.html)

I take it GM has no plans to export the Soloflex* & Sky outside of North America??

*Opps thats Solstice

Double positing POS?

Nevermind... you fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Double positing POS?
    Not Me!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    I take it GM has no plans to export the Soloflex* & Sky outside of North America??

*Opps thats Solstice
    I can't see why they wouldn't export it... why limit themselves to this market.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I can't see why they wouldn't export it... why limit themselves to this market.
    Two words : General Motors!

Two words : General Motors!
    If they were smart (which lately is in question) they would have already released these vehicles in Europe where they dig the small roadsters and perhaps start an early buzz.

If they were smart (which lately is in question) they would have already released these vehicles in Europe where they dig the small roadsters and perhaps start an early buzz.
    Looks like they can't sell it in Europe......

http://waw.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_reg...rail_solstice/

Upcoming European pedestrian-impact regulations are preventing General Motors Corp. from selling a version of its '06 Pontiac Solstice there, company executives tell Ward's.

A GM Europe official says: “…It's challenging due to the pedestrian-protection requirement.”

Quite literally ouch!

Not killing somebody due to improper design is a challenge? Idiots...

Quite literally ouch!

Not killing somebody due to improper design is a challenge? Idiots...
    Now the rest of the story....
    The policies take effect in 2005 and require auto makers to design extra space between the exterior surface and the underhood structure from the front bumper to the windshield. The 8-in. (20-cm) gap is expected to reduce the severity of pedestrian injuries by better dispersing the impact energy of a person striking a front end.

If you look at the new Mercedes designs coming out, the noses aren't as sloped as they could be due to the pedestrian regs. I believe Automobile did a write up on it... I'll see if I can find it.

If you look at the new Mercedes designs coming out, the noses aren't as sloped as they could be due to the pedestrian regs. I believe Automobile did a write up on it... I'll see if I can find it.
    Well duh, anyone who wants to sell a car in europe is required to meet the new standard.

Well duh, anyone who wants to sell a car in europe is required to meet the new standard.
    Exactly why I called GM idiots for not meeting that same requirement for the Solscitv (oh.. whatever it's called) when they've known about it for years...

Exactly why I called GM idiots for not meeting that same requirement for the Solscitv (oh.. whatever it's called) when they've known about it for years...
    The Opel Speedster already sells pretty good in Europe, whay add competion to your own company.

GM is already working on it's replacement for the Speedster with Saturn...

The Opel Speedster already sells pretty good in Europe, whay add competion to your own company.
    You're right there... (at least we'd hope they wouldn't screw themselves... but lately that's been suspect too)

Besides, I'd rather have a Holden over a GTO knowing it's the same car. Let's hope the Europeans aren't as shallow as I am when it comes to the name on their two seat roadsters...

The problem is, for front-engined car to meet the new Euro pedestrian impact standards, we're going to end up with some very funny-looking automobiles for a few years, until engineers can solve some of the packaging issues.

Ever wonder why the front end of the NC looks so ungainly, bulbous, and high off the ground, especially compared to an NA or NB? Thank the Europeans inability to look both ways before crossing the street...

The upside (if it can be called an upside) will probably be wider scale production of mid-engined cars over the next 5-10 years, as mid-engine designs don't present the same problem with packaging large, unyielding objects under the front sheet metal.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw