Thread: Jeep Patriot Debuts at Frankfurt

Default Jeep Patriot Debuts at Frankfurt

This thing is coming to the States to compete in the small SUV class. Not sure where that leaves the Liberty, but I like the looks of this one a LOT. I think Jeep will sell a ton of these things if they give it good engine options and keep the price reasonable.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    The artist's rendition already looks better than the Liberty!
    Looks like a mildly revised Liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Looks like a mildly revised Liberty.
    I must say I was astounded that Jeep started offering their diesel option for the Liberty. I was also equally astounded that the US market was buying them in high numbers as well. The only way I would consider an SUV of any kind is with a diesel.

Hopefully, they will offer a diesel option for this as well.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04
    I must say I was astounded that Jeep started offering their diesel option for the Liberty. I was also equally astounded that the US market was buying them in high numbers as well. The only way I would consider an SUV of any kind is with a diesel.

Hopefully, they will offer a diesel option for this as well.
    I wish more manufacturers offered diesels in this country, period. I would have jumped at the chance to buy a compact SUV or mid-size truck with a diesel engine, but besides the Liberty CRD (which would have been over $30k the way I wanted to option it ), the only other diesel trucks in this country are all full-sized, which is more than I want or need.

Hopefully the advent of low-sulphur diesel for on-road applications in '06 here in the States will change that. I would love to have something with the size and fuel-efficiency of the CRV, but with a towing capability of >5000lbs.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I wish more manufacturers offered diesels in this country, period. I would have jumped at the chance to buy a compact SUV or mid-size truck with a diesel engine, but besides the Liberty CRD (which would have been over $30k the way I wanted to option it ), the only other diesel trucks in this country are all full-sized, which is more than I want or need.

Hopefully the advent of low-sulphur diesel for on-road applications in '06 here in the States will change that. I would love to have something with the size and fuel-efficiency of the CRV, but with a towing capability of >5000lbs.
    Slightly off topic but I notice the new VW Passat no longer lists a diesel engine as an option.. You can still get one in the Jetta.

Isn't the CRD a big $$$ option on the Jeep??

Slightly off topic but I notice the new VW Passat no longer lists a diesel engine as an option.. You can still get one in the Jetta.

Last I read on the Vortex, the B6 Passat still has the diesel engine option. Hmmm... I wonder if VWAG has changed it's mind?

I prefer the flat hood of the Patriot versus the Liberty's headlight bumps. Also, the crease down the side of the Patriot is better looking than the half crease on the Liberty.

The Patriot looks like a downsized version of the old mid '80's Grand Wagoneers.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Last I read on the Vortex, the B6 Passat still has the diesel engine option. Hmmm... I wonder if VWAG has changed it's mind?
    I'm not finding it on the VW website, am I just missing it???

http://www.vw.com/passat/

I'm not finding it on the VW website, am I just missing it???

http://www.vw.com/passat/
    I'll have to ask around the ClubB5.com... that's the damnedest thing. I was actually looking forward to the TDi Variant B6... I thought it would make a helluva sleeper and highway cruiser.

You are correct. There will be no diesel on the 06 Passat. A huge bummer.

Then again, I'm still waiting for BMW to offer me their 3-series coupe with this engine from Europe:

Cylinders/valves 6/4
    Capacity cml 2,993
    Stroke/Bore (mm) 90.0/84.0
    Max output (hp/rpm) 204/4,000
    Max torque (lb/ft) 302/1,500
    Fuel consumption: 42.8 mpg
    0-62mph: 7.2 seconds

S.

I think I read that teh Passat is 'going' to have a TDI version in teh future, but it's not out now for sure.. I thiink they're coming out with a higher power TDI in the reasonable future...

I am really hoping that the diesel market will take of here in teh reasonable future... Of course, even withteh Low-sulphur stuff that'll be here in June, diesels are still currently outlawed for sale in several US states, reguardless of fuel. That will probably have to change before we see a great influx from the European crowds..

I'm just waiting for when teh tuners start getting ahold of the diesel cars and running 50psi like the truck guys are doing.. :) TDI Jetta with 200hp, 500ft-lbs..

So is this supposed to be in addition to the liberty, or a replacement?? Supposed to be under the liberty or what?
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Can you get the diesel in the new Jetta? I thought the only variants they'd released so far were the GLI (4-door Golf GTI) and the 2.slow inline-5.

I don't remember what the exact upcharge for the Liberty diesel was (and their website is damn slow from my work, so I'm not going to bother looking it up for ya ), but I recall building one online with 4wd, the diesel engine, and not much else that stickered for close to $30k.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Can you get the diesel in the new Jetta?
    Yep!

http://www.vw.com/jetta/

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    Fuel consumption: 42.8 mpg

S.
    Don't forget that Euro fuel consumption is typically quoted in Imperial gallons, which aren't the same as an US gallon.

1 Imperial gallon = 1.201 Imperial gallons.

So, fuel consumption of 42.8 mpg quoted in Imperial gallons translates to:

42.8/1.201 = 35.637 mpg in terms that us Yanks would understand.

Still impressive, although slightly less so than you'd first believe. And so concludes today's science lesson - always remember to convert your units!
    Iain

I don't remember what the exact upcharge for the Liberty diesel was (and their website is damn slow from my work, so I'm not going to bother looking it up for ya )...
    Looks like it added about $1800 to the 2005 model (only available on the Limited edition) and adds $1360 to the 2006 model (also only on the Limited Edition). Bringing it to a healthy ~$30K nicely equipped....
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

42.8/1.201 = 35.637 mpg in terms that us Yanks would understand.
    Only 35.6 mpg? Fergit it!

S.

TDI is available on teh new Jetta.. it's a $1k upcharge (friend of mine is seriously looking at them.. test drove last week)

on units... you guys figure it out. Gas (87) is 6.09 pesos/liter here.
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    Gas (87) is 6.09 pesos/liter here.
    Don't you guys just love the conversion calculator in Google?

6.09 (Mexican pesos / liter) = 2.15086193 U.S. dollars / US gallon More about calculator.

LINKIE
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."