Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas prices hitting $2

Suspension Modder

Default Gas prices hitting $2

Well.. I finally saw a $2.00 price for 93 Octane in Terrell. Never actually thought it would happen really. Thought it was something reserved for California

I hit up Sam's for 1.80 though.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

The last 3 mornings on the way to work I noticed gas prices have gone up another 5 cents daily. (Currently $1.77 in my area.)

One more reason that I'm happy my daily driver is a Miata! When do you think we'll see the hybrid Miata?

Good God, I hope not. Hybrid drivetrains might be wonderful for making the greenies feel better about not using public transportation (even if they're no more fuel efficient than a typical diesel-powered car and made with a lot more hazardous and non-recycleable materials), but they're just about the worst choice of powerplant for a lightweight, simple sports car.

If you look at drivetrain power-to-weight ratios (i.e., the power output divided by the total weight of all drivetrain components), you'll find hybrids typically have the lowest number. In other words, given identical power levels, the simple reciprocating engine (or better yet, a Wankel rotary) will almost always weigh less. Less weight is a good thing in a small sports car.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

One more reason I'm happy I take a Dart Van Pool to work.

Last month's cost to me was a whopping $7.00!

I haven't put gas in my Miata since I got back from the Hill Country a few weeks ago.

The only drawback is the short 3 minute drive my car gets to the van pool parking lot is probably not to good for it.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by bigDstars
    When do you think we'll see the hybrid Miata?
    "This is all a bunch of tree-hugging hippie crap!"

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

$1.999 last weekend in Mineral Wells is what I paid and that's as close to $2 as I ever want to be.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

$1.99 for 1 gallon of premium in Irving. Waited to go to Costco today and fill er up.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Thought it would be fun to dredge up this thread for short-term nostalgia.

(Well, maybe fun's not the word.)

I wish I could pay 2 bucks for 87 octane right now..

I should have taken a picture of the gas price signs I saw in California... I saw several where 91 octane was over $3.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    I should have taken a picture of the gas price signs I saw in California... I saw several where 91 octane was over $3.
    Just think what 93 must cost them in CA! Oh wait....

C

I think im pretty lucky, I only had to pay 2.16 today
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    The last 3 mornings on the way to work I noticed gas prices have gone up another 5 cents daily. (Currently $1.77 in my area.)
    No more complaining from you lucky guys, I went out of my way tonight to get gas for $2.19! It's $2.22 - $2.29 over here in north Garland/Plano/Carrolton.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

It's amazing that I paid $2.21 a gallon for PLUS up in Tulsa last Friday...

Where does the extra money over what they pay go? Is that our suffering for having no state income tax? Their roads are just as good as ours... hell, some are even better! (Referring to I-35 from the border to OKC as compared to I-35 from Dallas to Austin)

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Don't we also have to use the reformulated gas here do to our increased polution over OK?

I think that's part of the extra cost as well... I always try to time my fill ups (in cars that use 87) so I get teh most for my $$ in OK..

However, OK only gets 91 for premium.
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

all of my cars stock always use the 87 octane running 93 would suck..

Quote Originally Posted by Tool
    Welcome to the world of 2003 Miatas... If I use anything below 91 then the engine performance and mileage drops off like crazy... It's more economical for me to use the good stuff.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    Don't we also have to use the reformulated gas here do to our increased polution over OK?
    Yeah that is correct.

??? The 2003 Miatas don't make enough hp to have to run 93!!!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Tool
    You must not be running much boost if your blown Mustang can get by with 87 octane...
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast