Thread: Strange brake behavior

Default Strange brake behavior

I did some maintenance work on the car today, including bleeding the brakes. Before I bled them, the pedal felt fine, but after I bled them, the pedal feels strange. The brakes still stop fine, and the pedal is still firm once the brakes engage, but there is a good 1/2" of free play at the top of the stroke. However, if I pump the pedal seven or eight times, the free play goes away.

I used the pressure bleeder, so I'm pretty damn sure there isn't any air in the lines. I've rechecked the calipers and the lines, and I don't have a fluid leak anywhere (besides, the pedal is still plenty firm and feels just like it should, except for the 1/2" of free play that has magically appeared at the top of the stroke). Could it be a vacuum leak? It's got me stumped.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Me thinks you have some air in the lines or the master could not take the pressure bleed.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

I had that happen one time but I did get air in the lines..... Had to pump the brakes while the pressure bleeder cap was on to move the air out of the master.

Now on mine it was "spongy" in that 1/2" free play area.

Hmm. I guess I'll bleed it again and see what happens.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Weird. I'm not sure how I managed to introduce air into the system with the pressure bleeder, but I burped a big ol' bubble out of the front right caliper this evening.

That solved it. A quick drive revealed a brake pedal that was back to the way it should be. I'm glad I decided to bleed it again and not be lazy, with a hig-speed autox coming up on Saturday.
    Iain