Thread: The Quest for Efficient Power

Default The Quest for Efficient Power

I've dinked around in the past with methods to boost the power out of my TDI VW. I've been turned off by the smoke output from everything I've tried.

Recently, I got the opportunity to drive a car that had been, in essence, returned to it's Euro roots. The injectors were replaced with the Euro-spec size, and the ECU had been re-flashed to run the Euro program. Boost and fueling were then optimized from there.

The result was oodles of power, very little smoke. So... I've started down the trail.

I installed the injectors last night - bracing myself to deal with some smoke until I send the ECU off. The surgery took about an hour. Butt-dyno screamed WOW! The TDI crowd likes to measure power in 3rd gear, 45-60 runs. Mine dropped from 6.6 seconds to 4.3, averaged from data logging in two directions, confirming the butt-dyno suspicions.

I need to back off turbo-response when I've got the pan off tonight for an oil change as tromping the throttle is causing spikes over 23 psi, but this is by far the cheapest 20-25 hp I've ever stuck in a car.

For those that don't know me, the car in question is an over-weight (3200 lb) station wagon that has averaged 47 mpg over the last 40,000 miles. Diesel is fun!
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

how do you back off the turbo response? adjustable wastegate?

Wastegate? We ain't got no stinkin' wastegate!

The ECU uses vacuum to adjust the angle of the vanes on the turbo. By lengthening the actuator arm, the boost request is slowed down, thus reducing the chances of over-shooting the target.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I see, a coat hanger on the fetzer valve, why didn't you say so?

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Wastegate? We ain't got no stinkin' wastegate!

The ECU uses vacuum to adjust the angle of the vanes on the turbo. By lengthening the actuator arm, the boost request is slowed down, thus reducing the chances of over-shooting the target.
    Those silly Germans.

Chassis Designer

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Those silly Germans.
    HaHa
    1990 Red Turbo, Granbury TX..

i freind of mine works at rusty wallace volkswagen, his (now ex) girlfriend has a TDI beetle. he put a chip in it, and it was pretty impressive- just a chip.

buddy of mine was poking aroudn at buying one of those too...

TDIs are pretty cool, and getting a lot more attention lately.

www.tdiclub.com

seems that about 130hp 260ft-lbs is about normal with a chip & injectors (~$400)

You guys also notice that part of teh big energy bill, the new 'clean diesel' cars are entitled to a big tax credit next year?
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??