Thread: D@mn! Solstice Going for $5k Over Sticker

Default D@mn! Solstice Going for $5k Over Sticker

Car News briefs: Pontiac's Solstice going for thousands over sticker.

Well, that didn't take long. With demand far outstripping supply, the Pontiac Solstice, which went on sale in early August, typically fetches about $5,000 over sticker price on eBay, AutoTrader.com and at dealerships.

That makes the new roadster the hottest Pontiac in years.

One eBay bidder dropped $32,900 for one of the low-slung roadsters, which start at $19,995 and rise to $24,700 fully loaded.

Some of the first 1,000 cars, which were sold to buyers through a promotion on the hit TV show "The Apprentice," are bringing an even bigger premium. One eBayer paid $10,000 for the right to buy car number 664.

GM says it will build about 7,000 Solstices this year.

Pontiac dealers have ordered 13,000 Solstices; many won't get more than one until next year.

Who pays over sticker price for a car? Especially a Pontiac!? I wonder what NCs are going for these days...

S.
    Last edited by srivendel; 09-21-2005 at 07:00 AM.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    Who pays over sticker price for a car?
    S.
    The word idiot comes to mind.

Who pays over sticker price for a car?
    A lot of original Miata owners back in the beginning if I remember correctly.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    A lot of original Miata owners back in the beginning if I remember correctly.
    Then they were dumb, too.

S.

If you have the $$$ who cares? (Not that I would ever pay $5K over sticker!)

Maybe they want to be the first kid on the street with the newest Toy.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing

That's always the way... I can't imagine what the line is like for the new Z06 and what they're willing to pay over sticker.

"A fool and his money are soon parted..."
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I remember they did the same thing with the PT Cruiser..eeeewww!
    It's still shocking that some folks have the drive let alone the cash flow to do that kind of thing.
    If I were thinking about something like that I would save the cash and spend it on goodies to load it up when I got one.
    99 Miata Black

[I]One eBay bidder dropped $32,900 for one of the low-slung roadsters, which start at $19,995 and rise to $24,700 fully loaded.
    For that kind of money, he could have gotten a new S2000, and had cash left over for racing tires, a helmet, and a Valentine One!

Or a leftover 2005 MSM and an upcoming Honda Jazz for commuting!

S.

Once again POS You have hit the nail on the head....."BIG BOY TOY'S" Money is no object!
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

Not surprising at all.

This happens anytime a new model comes out that has a good amount of excitement behind it.

It happened with the introduction of the Miata and several of the limited edition Miatas over the years, the Stook, the Hummer, the MINI, and countless others.

It's supply and demand and free market economics. It's not illegal or immoral. As mentioned above, a fool and his money are soon parted. You want to be the first on your block to get one, you're gonna pay what it takes.

Now one might ask, why doesn't the manufacturer produce enough to meet demand? Well, ever heard of Edsel or more recently the Asstek? Car makers will only take calculated risks and what sells is still often a crap shoot.

Eventually, the "newness" wears off and the otherside of free market kicks in. Prices will drop and "deals" will be had.

In the car biz, there's a phrase, "There's an ass for every seat." and people will line up and buy even if you don't.

Mi dos pesos.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)