Thread: Pavement Marking or Red Light Cameras?

Default Pavement Marking or Red Light Cameras?

Linkie.

Pavement Marking Reduces Red Light Running

Florida Department of Transportation study finds improved pavement marking significantly reduces red light running.

New research sponsored by Florida's Department of Transportation suggests a number of effective engineering alternatives can reduce red light running. Using an advanced driving simulator to monitor the reactions of ordinary drivers, University of Central Florida researchers concluded that improving street markings near intersections reduced red light running by 74 percent without increasing the likelihood of rear end collisions.

"The pavement marking countermeasure is a low-technology and inexpensive solution to reduce the number of motorists that run red lights," the study concluded.

The study placed 42 test subjects in an I-Sim Mark II, a driving simulator based on a full-size Saturn automobile that moves with six degrees of freedom. "In a controlled environment," the report explained, "a driving simulator experiment can be designed to directly investigate drivers' response, driving habit, and behavior characteristics."

The system tested virtual pavement with and without "SIGNAL AHEAD" marked in large lettering at the point where it would most help drivers make the decision of whether or not to proceed through a yellow light. Test participants gave unanimous approval to the clarity of the proposed pavement marking design.

The study also found that motorists trapped behind buses, large trucks and SUVs often found it impossible to see traffic signals, increasing the chance of red light running. Sixty-five percent of the drivers agreed that placing additional traffic signals on the side of the road improved visibility.

Traffic signals in the experiment were timed according to the minimum standards specified by the Institute for Transportation Engineers. Nearly all instances of red light running happened within the first second a signal changed to red from yellow. Test subjects explained 54 percent of the time that they ran a light because the yellow was too short. The study did not examine the effect of lengthening the yellow signal timing. Earlier this year, the Texas Transportation Institute released a study that found an extra second of yellow time could reduce collisions by 40 percent.

Seems obvious, but it results in no extra cash for the city coffers, so I bet it doesn't catch on.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    Seems obvious, but it results in no extra cash for the city coffers, so I bet it doesn't catch on.
    I was just about to say that.

Also, they are assuming that its a mistake that people are running red lights... Everytime ive ran an orange light, I knew exactly what I was doing.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    Earlier this year, the Texas Transportation Institute released a study that found an extra second of yellow time could reduce collisions by 40 percent.
    But this fact is telling. A 40% reduction is huge. Seems like an easy thing to implement, but then they lose red light camera revenue.

S.

Earlier this year, the Texas Transportation Institute released a study that found an extra second of yellow time could reduce collisions by 40 percent.
    Who cares about pavement markings? Changing the yellow light timing requires mothing more than a change in a couple of lines of code, yet a 40% reduction is a huge reduction.

Of course, as you've pointed out, it would reduce red-light camera revenue. And we all know that in the real world of municipal budgeting, revenue generation takes precedence over public safety... as long as the municipality can get away with it.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw