Thread: Mazda starts a logo war!!

Chassis Designer

Default Mazda starts a logo war!!

I just saw this on Joe Porta's web site (the knobmeister) re Miata logo items. I understand that most Miata aftermarket companies have received this:

"Quality Images/Knobmeister regrets to inform all the many Miata Clubs
    for whom I've made Name Badges for the last eight years that I am no longer able to continue in this activity.

"Mazda North American Operations" has recently sent me official notice that I must:
    "cease and desist all use of Mazda's trademarks and logos immediately"

This includes "Mazda", "MAZDASPEED" logo, "Zoom-Zoom" Logo, RX8 logo, the "Toilet Seat" logo,
    the "Wing" Logo, the letters "MX-5", the "Miata" Logo, the actual word MIATA. This last item
    will effect most of the Name Badges I make since almost all have the letters M-I-A-T-A in their club's name!
    I am working with their legal department in Flat Rock Michigan to get special permission from Japan
    to continue producing the name badges but must stop NOW.

I regret any inconvenience that this may cause your clubs and it's loyal members"

I am concerned how this will after our use of the words "Miata, Mazda, or MX-5". I guess instaed of LSMC, we'll have to become the "Lone Star Roadster-Made-By-A-Japanese-Car-Company-Starting-With-The-Letter-M Club"
    Bill Preston
    2007 CuRed PRHT
    Lowered, ram air, too much crap to list

Joe is good people. Sad to hear. I heard Mazda was cracking down about a year ago.

The interesting thing is I posed this question about logo and name use on MiataForum.com some time ago and it was deleted. I then got the follow message from Gary Fischman of Miata.net fame.

Quote: "I decided to delete your post bringing up the trademark/logo discussion. Not because there was fundamentally anything wrong with it, but because of the problems it will create.

That discussion will invite certain people to begin speculating, and other people to make inunformed, and possibly false statements about what may or may not have transpired.

The fact is, these type of discussions fall outside of the purpose of this forum. But more to the point, I have a policy of never responding to public questions about my business arrangements. A thread like that will force me to either respond, which is something I won't do, or it will fuel further speculation due to my lack of response, which is something I won't tolerate. Just because other people choose to make their private business affairs public does not mean that I will do so.

So while I certainly understand your interest in the subject, it isn't one that I can allow to be hosted on Miata.net.

Thank you for understanding.

So it seems the logo is ok for user by certain individuals and companies. As far as I know, Flyin'Miata is keeping their name as well.

...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Here is a link to a M.net discussion. It makes sense why Mazda is doing this. As for clubs, since they are not for profit, I doubt they will get much attention. It is mainly the people making money using the logo. Also FM uses their own logo, not the Miata script. So just writing Miata isn't bad, and I am guessing Joe could probably sell a knob with miata plainly written on it. The script is what they have copywritten.

BTW, I just noticed, the script that comes up to add a URl wont let you name it. It automatically names the link the name of the URL.

Mazda isn't the only car company currently enforcing others making money from their trademarked name, GM has been going after a bunch of companies in the restoration parts business for same exact thing.