Thread: trunk latch

Default trunk latch

Lately i've been having trouble closing the trunk, and yesterday my remote didn't even work on the trunk.
    Anybody familiar or has dealt with the trunks on an NB?
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Quote Originally Posted by Mouglie
    Lately i've been having trouble closing the trunk, and yesterday my remote didn't even work on the trunk.
    Anybody familiar or has dealt with the trunks on an NB?
    I believe that you can disable the remote release on the 01+ by turning the key counter clockwise. Is it possible that you disabled it by accident?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    I believe that you can disable the remote release on the 01+ by turning the key counter clockwise. Is it possible that you disabled it by accident?
    Turning the key counter clockwise on the '01+ (or "fixed" '99+) LOCKS the trunk. Nothing but the key will open it.

I would pull the interior trim and take a good hard look at the lock mechanism. Make sure nothing "looks" broken. Clean and lube wherever you can and see if that helps. It may be helpful to have a friend with a same year Miata nearby to compare parts.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Default it opens!!!

hey kool, thanks, i just put the key in and that the remote works now. i thought maybe the remote ran out of battery but it was just that lock. Well now the remote works so the opening part is good,
    now i just need to work on the smooth closing. That thing will shut only when i slam it. Quite frankly i'm avoiding opening the trunk until i have a day off work just to pull it apart and see whats blocking the latch.
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

Default update

well some kool guy from the LSMC helped out with the latch problem, he recommended me to put some washers on the loop part from the trunk that goes into the latch, that worked really good, now my trunk is normal again!!!