Thread: Air filter for Spec...

Default Air filter for Spec...

Hey Merv & other race fans...

In spec racing it states that a cone filter can be used instead of the stock airbox... In looking around, it seems that there are some choices in this...

1. Cone filter directly attached to the AFM
    2. Cone filter attached to a tube that goes up towards the firewall. Tube is attached to the AFM
    3. Cone filter attached to a J shaped pipe that puts the filter behind the driver's side light. pipe is attached to the AFM

I'm leaning towards the cone filter on the J pipe... What do you guys think about this?

Also, one of the popular Miata vendors on the web charges $180 for the tube & filter... I'm wondering what the difference is between that one and this one other than this one has a generic filter and theirs has a K&N filter.

For the difference in price, I could get a genuine K&N filter and still come out ahead. Any thoughts?

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Hey Merv & other race fans...

In spec racing it states that a cone filter can be used instead of the stock airbox... In looking around, it seems that there are some choices in this...

1. Cone filter directly attached to the AFM
    2. Cone filter attached to a tube that goes up towards the firewall. Tube is attached to the AFM
    3. Cone filter attached to a J shaped pipe that puts the filter behind the driver's side light. pipe is attached to the AFM

I'm leaning towards the cone filter on the J pipe... What do you guys think about this?

Also, one of the popular Miata vendors on the web charges $180 for the tube & filter... I'm wondering what the difference is between that one and this one other than this one has a generic filter and theirs has a K&N filter.

For the difference in price, I could get a genuine K&N filter and still come out ahead. Any thoughts?

RJ
    If you want the BEST one, Brad Sawyer has made a short, carbon fiber tube that uses a K&N cone, and blends the air very efficiently. All the fast guys are using them. I think ALARA sells them. Any of the others are ok, but lose some torque and add some top end power. I would stay with the stock airbox until you go for the good one. That's what I'm doing....
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Do you have a site for this ALARA?
    http://www.alararacing.com/