Thread: America Gets Serious About Small Cars

Default America Gets Serious About Small Cars

Anyone who has been looking for a perfect commuter car or OTM: rejoice! America is finally getting a bevy of small, very fuel efficient, inexpensive, well-built cars from which to choose.

As the Civic et al have become bigger and more expensive, the low end of the marketplace has been occupied by unappealing death traps like the Kia Rio, Hyundai Accent, and Chevy Aveo. These are not the kind of cars you want to be seen in. They're embarassing because they're cheap and cheaply made. You expect to see them lined up in front of Dollar General with a bunch of crazy bumperstickers on them.

Serious car buyers without a lot of money have typically turned to used cars as an alternative to these PsOS.

That's about to change. By this time next year, we will have five appealing, inexpensive cars to choose from. They start with Kia's redesigned Rio and its Hyundai Accent twin:

Not too shabby. And six airbags come standard for your $11,000 (before dealer discounting).

But say you still can't bear the thought of driving a Kia or a Hyundai. This is where it gets interesting. Honda, Toyota, and Nissan are all coming out with serious subcompacts this fall. Witness:

The Honda Fit (hopefully it'll be called the Jazz like it is in Europe):

The Toyota Yaris:

and the Nissan Versa:

All of these babies will have grown-up styling, decent power (100-120hp), solid build quality, and will be well-equipped for around $13,500. Oh, and they'll also get around 35-40mpg.

Trying to decide on a reasonable OTM just got a whole lot more interesting.

S.

PS: Kudos to Kia for their big black rub strips. Cars in this category are going to be used hard. They're going to get wedged into tight parking spaces and parallel parked. It sucks that car designers have killed the humble rub strip in the effort to make road-going cars look more like show cars. It makes for a lot more door dings, which ruin the appearance of a car much more than a tasteful rub strip (admittedly: the Rio's are a little OTT).
    Last edited by srivendel; 10-11-2005 at 10:22 AM.

plus the Scions, the Mazda5, and various other small goofy cars following teh likes of Scion...

BTW, that Nissan Versa looks strikingly like a Renault model driven commonly down here in Mexico...
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

ah ha! found it...
    Renault Megane

it's a very hideous thing up close...
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

I'll take one of these. Mid engine, V6... not exactly fuel efficient.

http://www.renault.com/gb/produits/clio_V6.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

My trouble with the Scions is the styling (yes, this coming from a guy who drives a car with red seats, still...). The xB is hideous. The xA is better, but no huge improvement. The great thing about these upcoming cars is that they're not goofy. They're something you could take your boss out to lunch in without apology or explanation.

Sorry, the Mazda5 is in a whole 'nother price/size class, but it is nice to see a true minivan return to these shores.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    My trouble with the Scions is the styling (yes, this coming from a guy who drives a car with red seats, still...). The xB is hideous. The xA is better, but no huge improvement. The great thing about these upcoming cars is that they're not goofy. They're something you could take your boss out to lunch in without apology or explanation.

Sorry, the Mazda5 is in a whole 'nother price/size class, but it is nice to see a true minivan return to these shores.

S.
    I like the xB, but it's definitely a love it or hate it styling.

Do you not like the tC, it's a pretty sweet looking coupe?
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    I'll take one of these. Mid engine, V6... not exactly fuel efficient.
    Isn't that one of the cars they thrashed on the last episode of Top Gear?

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel

S.

I LOVE the BOX!!!!!!!
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Isn't that one of the cars they thrashed on the last episode of Top Gear?
    That's the one!
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I always thought the xB looked like the box the Honda Element came in but it has grown on me.

As for the others, I am glad to see some higher MPG offerings coming out but I doubt pigish, selfish Americans will adopt them over big V6 and V8 offerings.

These cars will appeal to a minority of Environmentally Conscience greenies, long-commuters and those that can't afford a "real car". By "real car" I mean an Accord or larger size with a V6 or an SUV.

A large percentage of Americans are fat bodies and won't feel comfortable in a small car. The others that have kept their consumption of Big Macs down like the "feeling" of safety a larger car gives them.

What I see is more hybrid technology used in larger vehicles, sad to say. Americans like their cars big and powerful and that will not change at $3 a gallon or even $5 a gallon.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Scion? Should be Spritemaster... they do look like toasters on wheels.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    ah ha! found it...
    Renault Megane

it's a very hideous thing up close...
    That car was on Top Gear recently. They crashed it into the side of another car at 30mph to test it's safety features! Thing is, the forgot to ask Renault if it was ok first. The wrecked it then they called Renault to tell them they wrecked it.

The thing has 8 airbags. The driver was wearing no safety gear besides leather work gloves. Walked away without a scratch. Passenger compartment was unscathed as well.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    The thing has 8 airbags. The driver was wearing no safety gear besides leather work gloves. Walked away without a scratch. Passenger compartment was unscathed as well.
    Yep, and the driver's side door even worked! I saw that too, and it was pretty amazing. On the other hand, crash a Ford Excretion into that Megane at 30mph, and I think the story would have been different.

I don't agree with black roadster's theory that Americans will not change their attitudes if gas prices go up. They may like their cars big and powerful, but history -- and car sales figures -- does show that under pricing pressures, Americans do change their car buying habits. What else could possibly explain the Mustang II or the 1981 C3 Corvette with a whopping 180hp?
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    I don't agree with black roadster's theory that Americans will not change their attitudes if gas prices go up.
    I think it depends how high they go. $3 a gallon sucks, but it's not life changing (for most of us at least). If it ever hits $8 a gallon like it is in Europe, you will see a huge swing in what most people are driving.

The title of this post is a touch misleading should be something more along the lines of cheap bastards get more choices.

Found a new ultra fuel efficient SUV, but it looks a bit top heavy to me.
    SUV.JPG

I'll stick with my miata!
    Last edited by Radio-Active; 10-12-2005 at 03:22 PM.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    I think it depends how high they go. $3 a gallon sucks, but it's not life changing...
    Well of course YMMV, but the serious drop in SUV sales seems to indicate that even at mere $3.00, some people think twice about buying a big 'ol gas guzzler. I'm not saying they all went out and bought hybrids , but they did choose not to buy Surburbans...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)