Thread: Trailer Weight Question

Default Trailer Weight Question

If a '99 Sport weighs 2,267 lbs. how much would your typical trailer weigh?

Trying to figure out a possible tow vehicle for this combination.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    If a '99 Sport weighs 2,267 lbs. how much would your typical trailer weigh?

Trying to figure out a possible tow vehicle for this combination.
    From memory, I believe the standard 16' steel framed, wood floored flatbed trailer weighs a little over 1500 lbs. An aluminum one would weigh somewhat less.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Unless you want to spend the money for an aluminum trailer (and if I know you, you don't ), figure an average of 2000 pounds for a decent steel tandem axle. You could custom build a lighter one based on the Miata's weight, but that will obviously cost more than buying a used one.

Don't forget that passengers, tools, extra tires, etc. all come out of total payload weight as well. When I was thinking about the same thing, I figured I needed something that was rated to tow 5000 pounds at a minimum, since with a 2k pound trailer, the car, a spare set of wheels, yourself, and a passenger you'd pretty much already be at that maximum towing capacity.

I'd feel safer with some excess capacity - something closer to 7000 pounds was what I was looking for. Then I landed a job 50 miles from the house, and gave up on the idea of a daily driver/tow vehicle.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

How about my parents surburban as a tow vehicle? Its for sale
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...g=en&cardist=0

(sorry for the plug, but they said the faster it gets sold the faster I get a miata, and yes I know that with gas prices it will be hard to sell it but I'm trying)
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13
    (sorry for the plug, but they said the faster it gets sold the faster I get a miata, and yes I know that with gas prices it will be hard to sell it but I'm trying)
    TRADE!!!
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    TRADE!!!
    Nah the Expedidition is gone mid next month, I was just trying to figure if a 2006 Honda Pilot could pull the '99.

Nah the Expedidition is gone mid next month, I was just trying to figure if a 2006 Honda Pilot could pull the '99.
    Probably not. And if my co-worker is to be believed, it won't get much better mileage than your Expedition. He averages 14-15mpg in his 2wd '05 Pilot.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13
    How about my parents surburban as a tow vehicle? Its for sale
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...g=en&cardist=0
    Wow you folks are dreaming if they think that sucker is worth $19,000!

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Probably not. And if my co-worker is to be believed, it won't get much better mileage than your Expedition. He averages 14-15mpg in his 2wd '05 Pilot.
    We are doing better than that with Sr's 2005 Pilot wonder why?? I'm actually thinking about just getting an V6 Accord for 2 years to see how this gas price game plays out.

We are doing better than that with Sr's 2005 Pilot wonder why?? I'm actually thinking about just getting an V6 Accord for 2 years to see how this gas price game plays out.
    Dunno. I know he doesn't really drive it as a leadfoot, although he's not the slowest guy on the road, either. He says he traded in a V8 Explorer on the Pilot in the hopes of getting better fuel mileage, but the Pilot is no better at the pump.

BTW, before the SUV haters chime in, he's got three kids, all 5 or under (child seat age) - his other car is a Civic, but that just won't cut it when the whole family wants to use one vehicle.

If you're leaning towards the Accord, have you given any thought to the Acura TSX? It's about the same price as a loaded V6 Accord and it doesn't have quite as much punch, but it's a much better driver's car, the interior materials are much higher quality, and it's a hell of a lot better looking.

Plus, Acura offers a better warranty and better service, including free loaner cars. I'd like to replace Melissa's Accord with a TSX in a couple of years.
    Iain

I've towed my Spec Miata behind my 94 Dakota, but I wouldn't recommend towing with something that light. My trailer was right at 1400#, but with tools, extra tires, compressor, etc I figure I was easly towint 4500#, so Iain's 500# suggestion is about right. I don't think the Pilot will do the job either. You DO want brakes on the trailer too!
    Merv

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    If you're leaning towards the Accord, have you given any thought to the Acura TSX? It's about the same price as a loaded V6 Accord and it doesn't have quite as much punch, but it's a much better driver's car, the interior materials are much higher quality, and it's a hell of a lot better looking.

Plus, Acura offers a better warranty and better service, including free loaner cars. I'd like to replace Melissa's Accord with a TSX in the near future.
    I looked at the TSX yesterday as a matter of fact! It's just seemed small and with just a 4 banger it didn't really do much for me.

I didn't really like the TL all that much either it's styling is well in a word plain.

Wow you folks are dreaming if they think that sucker is worth $19,000!
    Your telling me, don't even get me started on their vehicle purchses/sellings lately. Somtimes I wonder what planet their from.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

I looked at the TSX yesterday as a matter of fact! It's just seemed small and with just a 4 banger it didn't really do much for me.

I didn't really like the TL all that much either it's styling is well in a word plain.
    Well, it is a 200hp 4 banger...

I really like both the TSX and TL, and they're on the top of my "replace the Honda CR-V" list. Trouble is, I'm a member of TCB, and as the CR-V runs just fine (it's boring as heck, but it runs just fine), it might be quite a while before I buy another car.

But what are we talkinig about here? Aren't we talking tow vehicles? I don't think either the TSX or the TL are going to be very good at towing your 5,000 - 5,500 pound enclosed, air-conditioned trailer. But maybe a Land Rover LR3. Properly equipped, it'll haul over 7,500 pounds. Ok... it will also set you back nearly $50 large...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

I'm with POS here on the size of the TSX. There are a ton of cars out there that are really slick, but the back seat just isn't a possibility for people over 5'10" on longer trips. (ex. Jetta, C320, TSX) I could go to the store in the back seat of a TSX, but I wouldn't want to ride intrastate in one.

Before I ended up investing my savings back into the company, I was going to replace the Jeep with a car. The problem is that I want a car with a real back seat. (At least now I have a while to find one... :) )

C