Thread: 'Bout time...

Default 'Bout time...

'Bout time... (especially is you ask POS)... it's time to buy some tires. Where do you guys order your Azenis through? And what sort of price am I looking at? Otherwise, I love the Yoko AVS ES100's (but apparently they stin k as AutoX tires).

I just got a set of Khumo MX tires on my 15inch wheels. I like them a lot so far, and I thought I wouldnt want anything other than azenis ever. Very grippy, good in the rain, and quite. I have heard reports of longer life too. As for my azenis, I would take a print out from online tires and have them beat the price...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Yep, what Majik said. Find the best online price you can and carry it in to Discount Tire. When I bought my Azenis at the end of last year, I got them for $219 out the door. (mounted, balanced, old tire disposal, yada yada yada).

What does it make me if I got a better price than the Team CB president? 202 out the door, biznatch.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    What does it make me if I got a better price than the Team CB president? 202 out the door, biznatch.
    It makes you a cheap bastard. Nicely done! (I might give you a Team CB magnetic sticker if you ever come out and play again beeyawtch.)

Yeah, that was a discount tire here in fort worth. The guy didnt charge me shipping, because he had a worker who lived near the wharehouse, so he just brought them in on his next shift, couldnt have worked out better.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Was that for 14" tires or 15"? Either way that's a good price, but if it's 15" tires that's an amazing -- and in my opinion and "unreplicatable" -- deal!

I got my 205/50-15s from Discount Tire in McKinney for something like $360 out the door (tires, mounted, balanced, metal valves, tax) by talking to Al and asking for the North Texas S2000 Owners Club special price. I looked at Onlinetires.com, but once you tack on the $4.2 billion they want for shipping , and add in mounting and balancing at some local shop, you'd probably save $15 on the whole thing.

Al was easy to work with, and although the drive up to McKinney was a pain, the service and fair (but not astonishing) price made it worth the trip to me.

YMMV

I'm getting them for the 14" stock rim.

So here's the deal - the stock size is 185/60/14. Can I upsize to a 195/60-14, or 195/65-14, or even a 205/55-14? What are the pros of upsizing on such a small wheel?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell

So here's the deal - the stock size is 185/60/14. Can I upsize to a 195/60-14, or 195/65-14, or even a 205/55-14? What are the pros of upsizing on such a small wheel?
    The Azenis don't come in a 185/60/14. The only 14" size is the 195/60/14 (what I have).

Sorry... I shoud define "them" - I still haven't made up my mind for the actual tire -

I love the Yokohama AVS ES100 for their stickiness and great ride.

I've never experienced the Falkens or the Kuhmos... but I've heard great things about both.

The Yokos come in the 185/60 size. The Falkens in the 195/60. The Kuhmos in the 185/60.

So technically, the 195 is slightly wider/narrower than the 185, correct?????

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Sorry... I shoud define "them" - I still haven't made up my mind for the actual tire -
    So technically, the 195 is slightly wider/narrower than the 185, correct?????
    I can't speak for the other tires, but most Autocrossers (myself included) love the Azenis. They are sticky and they are cheap! There are cons too (heavy, wear out quickly), but everything is a trade-off.

Check out this handy-dandy tire size calcuator for your other question-
    http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

The ES100s only seem sticky until you've driven on Azenises. Buy a set. You'll like them. Plus you only have one choice of size to fool with!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Well, the ES100's are about $65 per tire. What's the going price the 14" Falkens?

try to keep up 3bean...
    Yep, what Majik said. Find the best online price you can and carry it in to Discount Tire. When I bought my Azenis at the end of last year, I got them for $219 out the door. (mounted, balanced, old tire disposal, yada yada yada).

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Well, the ES100's are about $65 per tire. What's the going price the 14" Falkens?

try to keep up 3bean...
    Yeah, I saw that...

I can't always be of the superior intellect.

try to keep up 3bean...
    Sammm, he's not the shiniest penny in the basket is he!

Why would you want the ES100's when 9 out of 10 Miata Autocrossers run the Azenis? The ES100 is a nice tire but I can't see it holding up as well under autocross conditions!

Link!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I can't always be of the superior intellect.
    How about just once? Now print out the quote from online tires, carry it into your nearest Discount Tire and put your haggling/cheap bastard hat on! :P

try to keep up 3bean...
    Or... since you live on this side of the world, call the Discount Tire in McKinney (380 & 75 - (972) 548-7942), ask for Al Cavin, and tell him what you want *and* what price you want to pay. There'll be less haggling. Remember, offer your price (and where you saw it) first.