Thread: State inspection question

Default State inspection question

Anyone know whether or not a blinking airbag light will keep you from passing state inspection?
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Quote Originally Posted by miataspeedracer View Post
    Anyone know whether or not a blinking airbag light will keep you from passing state inspection?
    Here's what's inspected by vehicle type.
    Items of Inspection

05.01 Inspect Every Passenger Car For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection)

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility

1. Horn
    2. Windshield Wipers
    3. Mirror
    4. Steering
    5. Seat Belts
    6. Brakes (system) (Parking - beginning with 1960 models)
    7. Tires
    8. Wheel Assembly
    9. Exhaust System
    10. Exhaust Emission System (beginning with 1968 models)
    11. Beam Indicator (beginning with 1948 models)
    12. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
    13. Stop Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
    14. License Plate Lamp (1)
    15. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
    16. Turn Signal Lamps (beginning with 1960 models)
    17. Head Lamps (2)
    18. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number
    19. 1988 & newer - inspect for window tinting or coating
    20. Gas caps on vehicles 2-24 model years old.

Reference
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by miataspeedracer View Post
    Don't think it will hurt. I got a sticker on my car in October with a blinking airbag light.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Blinking light never caused me problems... neither has the solid on light.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Thanks, all.
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Really, I would have guessed otherwise. Are you guys sure that the bone heads passing your cars just didn't pay attention?

Inspections are stupid IMO anyways, when I had my 96 Z28 I did some motor work, including the removal of all emissions equipment, but since its OBDII I had the computer tuned so no codes where thrown and it passed!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Nope, mine blinks and the guy didn't say anything. Then again he didn't even do the safety check and shot through the emissions part including the gas cap that he had secured to a permanent one for the test. The 93 passed just fine, of course it just passed CA smog a while back so I didn't have any doubts.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66 View Post
    Really, I would have guessed otherwise. Are you guys sure that the bone heads passing your cars just didn't pay attention?
    Nope. Inspectors only inspect that which is on the state's safety list. Airbags are not. So I wouldn't immediately assume them to be bone heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell View Post
    Nope. Inspectors only inspect that which is on the state's safety list. Airbags are not. So I wouldn't immediately assume them to be bone heads.
    Ya, but most are just some young punk like myself! The guys that did my Z28 didn't check anything! They were too busy telling me how cool the car sounded etc. And I had to go to 2 different places to get my stupid air horns to pass in the Miata, and these are the worn out ones off Channelmaniac's spec car! They are so weak now I need to get a new horn, but the bone heads said it was illegal!

Eh, I could rant all day about how people get around state inspections and how cops ticket new cars with expired stickers as an old truck spewing black smoke out drives by....
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Chassis Designer

Default air bag light

Hey fellers, just so you know some states are now requiring that the air bag light function properly . Texas may have it in some large metro areas in the future

Quote Originally Posted by doc View Post
    Hey fellers, just so you know some states are now requiring that the air bag light function properly . Texas may have it in some large metro areas in the future
    I hope not. I have no airbag light at all now. I pulled the WMD from in front of my face as well as the computer. Passenger bag is there but not connected. As soon as I figure out what I can put in it's place, it's gone too.

Damn government Nazis!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

You know, if you treat the inspectors with a little respect, generally things work out much better. Yes, a few inspectors are not brilliant.

Texas state inspection includes seat belts, but not air bags. However, it doesn't hurt to take a hard copy of the reference cited earlier in this thread when you go for inspection, just as a backup.

BTW, if you have disabled your airbags (which I do not recommend), you may want to consider removing the 'ride down' stitch in your shoulder belt. Air bag equipped Miatas (at least the NA) have a folded and stitched section in the seat belt. In a big impact, the stitches will tear out to extend the 'ride down' time in conjunction with the airbag. With no airbag, it's more likely you will contact some solid object as the seat belt 'lengthens'. When the ride down stitches tear, there's a little flag that's attached to the belt that will show outside of the sleeve near one end of the belt.

YMMV, above is not to be considered anything more than informational. All modifications made at your own risk.

if you like, we can get my friend to inspect it in irving.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakester View Post
    BTW, if you have disabled your airbags (which I do not recommend), you may want to consider removing the 'ride down' stitch in your shoulder belt. Air bag equipped Miatas (at least the NA) have a folded and stitched section in the seat belt. In a big impact, the stitches will tear out to extend the 'ride down' time in conjunction with the airbag. With no airbag, it's more likely you will contact some solid object as the seat belt 'lengthens'. When the ride down stitches tear, there's a little flag that's attached to the belt that will show outside of the sleeve near one end of the belt.
    I thought that was only on the early cars?