Thread: 90 Miata won't start??

Tire Warmer

Default 90 Miata won't start??

Drove to work yesterday and then it wouldn't start in the afternoon. Checked the 80 amp fuse, checked for spark, has plenty of fuel but don't know if fuel is getting to the engine. Timing belt was changed at 65,000 but no record since then and it has 146,000 now. Any simple things I can check? Thanks
    First Miata, need good advise.

Did it do anything before it croaked?

Does it sound "normal" when you are trying to start it is the starter spinning the motor at the same rate???

Also might want to check out the timing belt. When they bust your car will act like it wants to start but nothing will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Did it do anything before it croaked?

Does it sound "normal" when you are trying to start it is the starter spinning the motor at the same rate???
    Yep, and it will not sound the same if the belt is broke when you try to start it. You say you checked for spark, is it safe to assume the plugs are firing??

I'm e-mailing the "Fuel system troubleshooting" from the workshop manual. From an "easy to check" standpoint, I'd verify that the fuel pump is running and the injectors are injecting first.

Get a helper to crank the motor.

Open the oil cap and verify the cam shaft is spinning. If not, your belt is broken.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by droptop
    Get a helper to crank the motor.

Open the oil cap and verify the cam shaft is spinning. If not, your belt is broken.
    Good call, dt! The last car I had that went in to "won't crank" mode didn't have a camshaft, so I completely forgot about that trick. Be sure to wear eye protection so as to avoid engine oil in the eyes if the camshaft is spinning.

Thanks. That's how I found out my belt was broken at 108k. I ASSumed the PO had changed it at 60k. I was wrong.
    ...and across the line.

Tire Warmer

It didn't do anything unusual when I shut it down. The starter seems to be spinning it at the same rate. I will get a helper and see if the camshaft is turning. Not sure if the plugs are firing although there is a spark. Thanks for the shop manual info. and for all the other suggestions.

The other thing is the plug wires are a weak point on Miatas. If they haven't been changed recently, that is something to considider.

Also see if you threw an engine code.

CLICK HERE
    ...and across the line.

Tire Warmer

I got the shop manual printout and just now injected some starter fluid into the air intake and it tried to start. Seems as if we may have a fuel pump problem. More to follow.

Tire Warmer

Unable to fully check out the fuel pump since my helper nor I have a meter. How would I check to see if I have thrown an engine code? Looks like a trip to the garage for a pump.

Quote Originally Posted by frankooh
    How would I check to see if I have thrown an engine code?
    See my previous post and click where it says "Click Here". :)
    ...and across the line.

Another simple thing to check is how long has the battery been in the car. It might just be it needs a new battery.

Quote Originally Posted by IMVivid
    Another simple thing to check is how long has the battery been in the car. It might just be it needs a new battery.
    If it wasn't making sparks... You've not been drinking synthetic blinker fluid again, have you, Vivid?

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Quote Originally Posted by IMVivid
    If it wasn't making sparks... You've not been drinking synthetic blinker fluid again, have you, Vivid?
    You two are going to be lots of fun in Oklahoma. I might have to go just to watch those sparks fly
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Well frankooh were you able to figure out why the car will not start??