Thread: Rigging a '99 exhaust on a '94

Default Rigging a '99 exhaust on a '94

Just weighing my options here. Would there be any way to fit a 99 catback on my 94??

Theres not much information on the board, this is the only thing I could find...
    Have a look, if you can find them, at pictures of the NB exhaust system vs. the NA exhaust system. Chances are pretty good that the NB system is about 3 feet shorter than the NA system! The factory NA and NB exhaust systems are configured differently - the NB systems after the cat are two piece and include a flange just before the muffler, while the NA systems were one piece after the cat. For the NA system, you need an extra section/connecting pipe compared to a basic NB rear muffler section - that's why it costs more.
    Theres no mention of the 2nd piece in the '99, im assuming it dosent fit, but could I replace it with a custom pipe? Any chance the hangers are in the same place??

I know I just need to get a cheap catback, but moneys tight, & this may be cheaper, plus im trying to steer away from the 'rice' sound...
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

I have a complete OEM cat-back from my '96. It was only on the car for 2000 miles.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

From what I understand, if you want a 99 exhaust on an NA you have to use the manifold back. You have to use all of it or none, but the exhaust will physically fit.

^Including the header? Do you know of any advantages...power, sound...over NA exhaust?

Merv, I sent you a PM.
    Last edited by Jiggerachi; 10-24-2005 at 11:06 AM.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Yeah, I didnt make that clear. You have to use the manifold. I see them given away on m.net all the time. I dont know about a performance difference. Id talk to merv, that sounds like alot less work.

I transfered my FM Duals cat back from my 99 to my current car. It isn't bolt in. I had to have a muffler shop connect everything. Also, the NB Miatas have a presilencer in the mid-pipe. I had to later add one as well since it was Harley loud.

If your exhaust bothers you I'd do the dual exhaust tip idea I suggested since new tips would be TCB.

Now you could go back to stock but you'll still have a whole in your bumper.
    Last edited by black roadster; 10-24-2005 at 01:33 PM.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    I have a complete OEM cat-back from my '96. It was only on the car for 2000 miles.
    Buy Merv's! Problem solved!

Looks like I might buy Merv's, seems to be the best non ghetto TCB solution at the moment. Ill have to live with the hole in the bumper for now, but I doubt it will be very noticeable on a black bumper at that angle, I can always TCB patch it up with something.

Im thinking i'll go stock for the time being, & upgrade later. I dont know what a stock Miata feels like, & seeing as ive had stock NAs pull on me pretty good, something might not be right. Getting my car as stock as possible & getting all the qwerks worked out before I start modding might be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    Looks like I might buy Merv's, seems to be the best non ghetto TCB solution at the moment.
    Well Duh!

Looks like I might buy Merv's, seems to be the best non ghetto TCB solution at the moment. Ill have to live with the hole in the bumper for now, but I doubt it will be very noticeable on a black bumper at that angle, I can always TCB patch it up with something.

Im thinking i'll go stock for the time being, & upgrade later. I dont know what a stock Miata feels like, & seeing as ive had stock NAs pull on me pretty good, something might not be right. Getting my car as stock as possible & getting all the qwerks worked out before I start modding might be a good idea.
    Isnt the stock hole patched? You could do something similar to the one in the middle.

Yea thats what I was thinking, any random piece of spray painted plastic would do the job, the car isnt exactly going to win any car shows any time soon anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Well Duh!
    Quiet you!!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Ill have to live with the hole in the bumper for now, but I doubt it will be very noticeable on a black bumper at that angle, I can always TCB patch it up with something.
    I think you should do that sweet Blackbird mod!

LINKIE

^

Man I wished he traded me bumpers before he hacked that one all up...