Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2006 Pro MX-5 racing

Default 2006 Pro MX-5 racing

Mazda and Hankook have officially announced a replacement series for Pro Spec Miata, that has raced as a support race for Petite Lemans and SCCA Pro Racing for the last two years. This new series will use ONLY 2006 Sports w/suspension package, sealed motors, trans, diffs, and ECU's, and a MazdaSpeed "kit" that includes a real header, CAI, a spec roll cage, and more. The really exciting part of this is that the eight race series will be fully televised in prime time, making sponsorship a real possibility, due to the exposure. MerGyver Motorsports is about to throw their hat into the ring and is in search of sponsorships to help offset costs of equipment and spares, and travel from Portland to Connecticut, to Houston, and everywhere in between (estimate of 21,168 miles for the season). We may also need crew members from time to time. Wish us luck in this new and exciting endeavor. Attached is a picture of the first "real" racing version of the 2006 MX-5 Miata currently being tested by MazdaSpeed.

"Mad" Merv
    Attached Images Attached Images
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Very cool! Keep us posted about upcoming events!

That's awesome Merv! I hope you do it! I'd love to crew, but getting the travel time will never work for me.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

That about covers it for me.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Good luck! If you need crew help shoot me an email.

You've obviously done your homework on the viability of this deal. Have rules or a schedule been released yet? What are you estimating it's going to cost to build a car? How much are you thinking a full season is going to cost? This sounds like a really great idea and is going to make for some great, exciting television exposure for road racing, Mazda, and the MX5.

Woohoo! Best of luck, Merv!

I wish I could offer more than that...
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Awesome!

Good luck - If you need some help in the Dallas area with wrenching, let me know.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    Mazda and Hankook have officially announced a replacement series for Pro Spec Miata, that has raced as a support race for Petite Lemans and SCCA Pro Racing for the last two years. This new series will use ONLY 2006 Sports w/suspension package, sealed motors, trans, diffs, and ECU's, and a MazdaSpeed "kit" that includes a real header, CAI, a spec roll cage, and more. The really exciting part of this is that the eight race series will be fully televised in prime time, making sponsorship a real possibility, due to the exposure. MerGyver Motorsports is about to throw their hat into the ring and is in search of sponsorships to help offset costs of equipment and spares, and travel from Portland to Connecticut, to Houston, and everywhere in between (estimate of 21,168 miles for the season). We may also need crew members from time to time. Wish us luck in this new and exciting endeavor. Attached is a picture of the first "real" racing version of the 2006 MX-5 Miata currently being tested by MazdaSpeed.

"Mad" Merv
    Great to see you are going to get in on the series. Wish i had hit it big in the lottery and I would sponsor. I will try to think of some prospects for you.
    Mac
    LS1 Miata Tiger Race Car (Build in Progress) TOPP Racing / East Street Auto / Saferacer.com / TeamMER
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

Looks Awesome Merv! Keep us updated on your progress.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by EvilSpeeder
    Good luck! If you need crew help shoot me an email.

You've obviously done your homework on the viability of this deal. Have rules or a schedule been released yet? What are you estimating it's going to cost to build a car? How much are you thinking a full season is going to cost? This sounds like a really great idea and is going to make for some great, exciting television exposure for road racing, Mazda, and the MX5.
    Rules went to print last week. We should have them soon. Five of eight races are confirmed: Portland, Mid Ohio, Salt lake City, Laguna Seca, Lime Rock. Estimate for the car: $30k. Estimate for the full season (are you sitting down?): $84,000.

As soon as Mazda and SCCA Pro Racing get the "seals" figured out, we can purchase the car and get started......track time, gutting, track time, tracktime :)
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)

What will this do to the folks in Spec Miata racing? Anything? Or will this just be a new series that will attract some folks away from the other to give newbies a chance?

RJ

My understanding is that this series will replace the current Pro Spec Miata series, but will have little to no impact on Spec Miata the club racing class... other than perhaps generating more spectator interest.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

HAHAHA - I know where there's one for $900 in Midland... The guy PM'ed me on the board.

RJ

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    Rules went to print last week. We should have them soon. Five of eight races are confirmed: Portland, Mid Ohio, Salt lake City, Laguna Seca, Lime Rock. Estimate for the car: $30k. Estimate for the full season (are you sitting down?): $84,000.

As soon as Mazda and SCCA Pro Racing get the "seals" figured out, we can purchase the car and get started......track time, gutting, track time, tracktime :)
    That sounds realistic. Have you considered running two cars to offset the cost? Although it might be hard to find a driver....

Quote Originally Posted by EvilSpeeder
    That sounds realistic. Have you considered running two cars to offset the cost? Although it might be hard to find a driver....
    Yes. We have a nice stacker trailer just for that reason...... We've got lots of good drivers around here so that's not a problem

Some more info:

MONTEREY, Calif. – During the Monterey Sports Car Championships event held this weekend at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development announced details of the much-anticipated 2006 Mazda MX-5 Cup, Presented by Hankook. The new series will replace the current very popular MAZDASPEED Miata Cup which features first- and second-generation Miatas. In the new series, the all-new third-generation 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata, equipped with a 2.0-liter, 170-hp engine and six-speed manual transmission, becomes the specified racecar of choice. Details of the scheduled eight-race series will be announced soon.
    “ With the all-new 2006 Mazda MX-5 as a starting point, it was easy for us to create the fastest, best handling and most comprehensively prepared Spec Miata yet – as well as ensuring the most level playing field possible between cars,” said Steve Sanders, Manager, MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development. “We tried many different combinations of suspension settings, exhaust systems and engine modifications, but ultimately found the base car to be so good, we really didn’t need to change much on the MX-5 to make a great racecar.”
    To be sanctioned by Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) Pro Racing, the Mazda MX-5 Cup will participate as a support race for the American Le Mans Series, SCCA SPEED World Challenge and other professional race series. This exposure to professional racing venues and teams makes the MX-5 Cup the perfect training ground for aspiring racers. In addition, every race is scheduled to be televised, with professional production and commentary.
    “ We’re extremely excited to continue our partnerships with Mazda and Hankook for the new MX-5 Cup,” said Mitch Wright, SCCA Pro Racing Vice President and General Manager. “The next evolution of the series will feature enhanced competitor incentives, higher profile race weekends and vastly increased promotional efforts from all involved.

The Mazda MX-5 Cup will provide an affordable, entry-level nationwide professional series whereby drivers compete in identically prepared vehicles. As before, all components for the cars will be sold directly through MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development, which also supports the program monetarily with contingency awards to successful drivers.
    Mechanically, all Mazda MX-5 Cup cars will remain essentially stock, as delivered from the dealer, with only bolt-on modifications to the intake and exhaust systems. While the stock MX-5 Miata produces 170-hp, it is expected that an MX-5 Cup car will produce 200-hp. Additionally, and new for this year, is an engine sealing and claiming rule, to eliminate the cost of professionally prepared engines and further level the playing field for all competitors.
    Suspension will incorporate a fully adjustable coil-over kit with double-adjustable shock absorbers and specified spring rates, as well as adjustable anti-roll bars front and rear. All cars will be required to run on series-sponsor Hankook Ventus DOT-legal racing tires, and will use a 17” wheel of a specified weight – again, to level the field and minimize costs. Additionally, brake pads, fluid and lines, as well as clutches, will be upgraded to racing components.
    All MX-5 Cup cars will run with full safety equipment, including an eight-point roll-cage welded into the car, a racing seat, racing seatbelts and will incorporate a fire-extinguishing system. Unlike in previous years, the new series will run without a hard-top.
    In addition to MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development’s contingency program, and support from Hankook Performance Tires as the series’ presenting sponsor, additional MX-5 Cup contingency sponsors include Mother’s Polishes and Waxes, AiM Sports, SPARCO, USA, and AutoWeek Magazine.
    MAZDASPEED will continue to hone the development of the MX-5 Cup cars, and will have details about the new series, as well as a full list of
    specified parts and part numbers, available to competitors through its Internet Web site, www.MazdaspeedMotorsports.com. In addition, prospective competitors who join MAZDASPEED’s competitor support program may purchase 2006 MX-5 Miatas at a discount for use in the series.
    On any given weekend, there are more Mazdas on the road-race tracks of America than any other brand of vehicle – and the venerable Mazda MX-5 Miata is generally the vehicle of choice. In fact, the fastest growing road-racing class in the US is the SCCA Spec Miata class, with over 1,200 first- and second-generation Miatas tearing up America’s racetracks.
    NOTE TO RACERS. Until the details of the sealed engine are finalized, and to avoid higher expenses, we are encouraging racers to hold off on purchasing a their new MX-5s. We will post more information soon.

So what exactly does this mean?

Additionally, and new for this year, is an engine sealing and claiming rule, to eliminate the cost of professionally prepared engines and further level the playing field for all competitors.
    Also, I like this.

The Mazda MX-5 Cup will provide an affordable, entry-level nationwide professional series

and this...

Mechanically, all Mazda MX-5 Cup cars will remain essentially stock, as delivered from the dealer, with only bolt-on modifications to the intake and exhaust systems.
    Is this what they mean by essentially stock?

Suspension will incorporate a fully adjustable coil-over kit with double-adjustable shock absorbers and specified spring rates, as well as adjustable anti-roll bars front and rear. All cars will be required to run on series-sponsor Hankook Ventus DOT-legal racing tires, and will use a 17” wheel of a specified weight – again, to level the field and minimize costs. Additionally, brake pads, fluid and lines, as well as clutches, will be upgraded to racing components.

Finally,

...with only bolt-on modifications to the intake and exhaust systems. While the stock MX-5 Miata produces 170-hp, it is expected that an MX-5 Cup car will produce 200-hp.
    An additional 30 HP with just an intake and exhaust!

Ok... I'm done. It sounds exciting none the less and I can't wait to see Merv in his first race! er... First race at TMS.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I like this:

Unlike in previous years, the new series will run without a hard-top.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast