Thread: Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212

Default Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212

Has anyone tried these tires out for the street? If so where did you purchase them from? I have a customer with 14" wheels upgrading to performance tires and when you think about it there are few choices. I prefer for the street the Toyo T1S, I have not tried the T1R yet. I am talking about a street tire in my question here, not autocross or track worthy tire such as the Azenas or Kumho MX, which I use on the track.

Several people I know do not like the Yoko ES-100 and I will probably pass on this tire as a recommendation. Any opinion?

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by shuhart1
    Has anyone tried these tires out for the street? If so where did you purchase them from? I have a customer with 14" wheels upgrading to performance tires and when you think about it there are few choices. I prefer for the street the Toyo T1S, I have not tried the T1R yet. I am talking about a street tire in my question here, not autocross or track worthy tire such as the Azenas or Kumho MX, which I use on the track.

Several people I know do not like the Yoko ES-100 and I will probably pass on this tire as a recommendation. Any opinion?

Gary
    Gary,
    I was running the Hankooks (235-40-17) on my M3 for a few months before I sold it and they were fairly comfortable and quiet. Much better than the worn out Pilot Sports that were on there before that. Performance in the rain during warm weather was great, but I'm not sure now they will take to the cold weather.

I just got a set of 205-50-15s for the Miata and they have been pretty nice just driving around, much better than the Azenis they replaced. I think they would make a suitable street tire.

They ES-100 are horrible (had them on the M3 a couple of years ago).

Hope that helps.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I know some that run the 212 on the street well, and others that say it is very squirrely in the wet as they wear and age.

I ordered a set of the hankooks for autocross, but will likely stick to the Yokohama Prada Spec II (ready to get laughed at ) for daily driving. Its good and cheap, much much stickier than the Es100 and has good tread depth for wet traction.

**Edit- Dont guess those are for your customer as they dont come below a 16" any more . Looking at choices in that size, the 212 is probably the best choice for performance. The Azenis is only H rated in that size.
    Last edited by wrxmr2eater; 11-02-2005 at 08:17 AM.

Gary,

I too had a set of the RS-2s on my Miata... 215/45 R-16. Very nice ride on them and good wet weather traction. They did have a stiffer side wall than my origional street tires, so the ride was a bit more stiff, but on the whole were good tires. Based on the number of people I saw running them at the last S2K event I was at, it's a popular autocross tire.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

We got the RS2's on the wife's Miata they are great tires! Have also run several S2K Autocrosses with them they performed very well!

Hey I need some 15" for the '99 who has the best price currently?

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    We got the RS2's on the wife's Miata they are great tires! Have also run several S2K Autocrosses with them they performed very well!

Hey I need some 15" for the '99 who has the best price currently?
    Try Edgeracing.com or just go to your local discount tire and get them to match the discount tire direct price b/c they have free shipping right now. If you order through edge you won't have to pay sales tax on the tires though. The pricing ends up being about the same between the two except for tax.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I would also suggest the HR2 in the same line... same basic compound but more of a street tire than the RS2. I have them and love them... and I've used them for autocross (yes, all two times.... )

Thanks for the good comments. Unfortunately the HRII do not come in a 14" that my customer requires. I might replace my MX with these next time as well for the track.

Gary
    www.trackdogracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by shuhart1
    Thanks for the good comments. Unfortunately the HRII do not come in a 14" that my customer requires. I might replace my MX with these next time as well for the track.

Gary
    The R-S2 has great grip, but if long life isn't mandatory, it makes a FANTASTIC street tire. Ride quality is awesome - amazingly, still so even after a season of autocross.

The HRII405/K106 twins offer longer life, but as you note, aren't available in 14 inch sizes. A shame. A side benefit i've found from the K106 is that the softer sidewall seems to have negated premature wear on the inside edges. 15k miles on my current set, and they're nice and even. The R-S2s are still quieter and smoother, but they're at .5/32 after oh, probably 500 miles.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I got a set of 14" from Discount Tire in Hurst for $252.50 out the door. We have a group buy account set up with them. Tell them you're part of the Miata club. (817.280.3215 is the number our club info is under)
    Last edited by sammm; 11-02-2005 at 10:46 AM.

Thanks Sam.

Gary
    www.trackdogracing.com