Thread: Miles and Miles of Hummers

Default Miles and Miles of Hummers

Poor GM.

LiNKie.

It seems that Hummers are piling up, unsold and unloved, on dealer lots.

Honda, meanwhile, can't seem to keep the new Civic in stock. May the small car revolution continue!

S.

Never liked the new Hummers anyway.....
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Funny Times had a cartoon of a woman sitting at her kitchen table paying a mountain of bills. She says to him, "I suppose it's just a coincidence that it rhymes with DUMBER!" Her husband's Hummer is in the driveway.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    Honda, meanwhile, can't seem to keep the new Civic in stock. May the small car revolution continue!

S.
    My local Honda dealer has about 30 Pilots sitting on the lot!

Ok, so they started to build a Hummer dealership on the tollway back when gas prices didn't totally suck, but they decided at the last minute to change it to a Saab dealership -- even though there were still enough Tonka-toy Hummers outside it to fill a giant-sized sandbox.

Then gas goes nuts, and sales drop.

So they build a (virtually identical) Hummer dealership right next to it.

Am I missing something? How is this a good idea?

C

Not sure how it's a good idea... One of my reseller principals had a Hummer and it was costing him $40 a day in gas when the fuel prices spiked... It then cost him 8 grand to get out from under it.

The vehicles are pretty much nothing but bling. They aren't even very capable off road, unless you spend the really big bucks and go for an H1.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

LOL!

There's a lot right next to my work that all of a sudden started to fill up with Tahoe's a couple of months ago. They have them packed in bumper to bumper and the lot is completely full now.

I went and talked to the security guard and he said that there were 300 SUVs in there, but he didn't know anything else about them. I'll try to get a pic sometime.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I think it is somewhat common for high volume dealers to have tons of extra cars at an off-site lot. One of the keys to being a high volume dealer is to have exactly what the customer wants available... This means having as many different color/option package combinations as possible available. It doesn't make sense if you are a 3 car a day dealership, but it does for a 10 car a day dealership. The #1 Ford dealer in the Sacramento area rented the parking lot of an abandon miniature golf complex and there would always be hundreds of F-150s and Mustangs. Being in LA (a market that has more than its share of Hummer buyers), It is entirely possible that this is one of the top Hummer dealerships and the extra stock is justified. Then again, it may really be a dealer caught with their pants down. I would be interested to see the turnover on the lot each week. If they turnover 20% of the trucks on the lot each week, then it is justified.

Those funky architectural dealerships were part of the deal when the Hummers were selling like crazy. If you wanted to have a dealership you had to commit to build one. Those things were planned and financed months, if not years ago.

Bling? Absolutely. The H2 is a Tahoe in disguise, and the H3 is a Colorado powered by the 5cylinder Colorado engine... Bling at it's best!
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"