Thread: Question about seat install

Default Question about seat install

Does anyone know who makes custom seat rails?
    or anyone who sells seat rails for a MOMO Start seat?
    The existing hardware I have on the seat would put it too far back for me.
    Thanks
    99 Miata Black

hhmmm
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    hhmmm
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

try a search at Miata.net they have tons of threads over there about making your own rails, and/or using the stock rails. Can the ones that came with the seat not be adjusted?

Looks like they can't.
    It's got the two welded bars on the front that bolt to the floor and two straight bolts that are sticking out of the back, I have looked at it with the stock seat out and can not for the life of me figure out how this even worked before...lol

So I figured I would take off the seat rails (OEM), and try to rig something to make them fit on the new seat....I wish I could find some installation pics for the Start in a Miata, that would be a great help.

I searched for the above on Miata.net and found an article but no detailed info.
    I may just have Gary take a look when I go to pick up the rollbar.
    I am getting a Hard Dog Sport with one diagonal....and harness tabs
    99 Miata Black

So I figured I would take off the seat rails (OEM), and try to rig something to make them fit on the new seat....I wish I could find some installation pics for the Start in a Miata, that would be a great help.
    While I know you didn't ask my opinion...

Be careful "rigging" something to make the seat work. Remember it's a very important piece of the safety puzzle if you get in a wreck that the seat stay where it's supposed to. You want to make sure you stay with the car, not come flying out of it because your bolts didn't hold.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

I am getting a Hard Dog Sport with one diagonal....and harness tabs
    Sweet! You'll love the way it stiffens the chassis.

Regarding the seat rails: just make sure you use quality parts. I wouldn't go bending the stock rails too much, as you might weaken the metal. You want those puppies to hold tight if you ever need them!

S.

If you go to this page of my website, you'll find details on how to build your own seat bracket for a Miata.

BTW, I'll suggest some minor changes - I've actually changed my bracket design since that writeup, but I've been too lazy to update the page in the last three years.

The primaray change that I've made is using a piece of 2" bar stock for one of the longitudinal rails. This eliminates the need for the lateral rails, since the offset holes on one side can now both be drilled into the same longitudinal rail.

This design uses the OEM seat mounting bolts to attach the seat assembly to the chassis, and uses the manufacturer's recommended bolts to atach the seat to the rails.
    Last edited by altiain; 11-08-2005 at 01:32 PM.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Show us the new seat and the rails....
    Maybe we can "Brainstorm" here....
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

Question : What are you going to do about seatbelts since part of the seatbelt is attached to the OEM seat??

I will be installing the Rollbar in the next two or three weeks.
    I am putting the seat in now so that it will go quickly when it's ready to go in perm. (I am only installing now to get an upper hand on what to do), I am going to leave the OEM seat in til the Roll Bar is installed.

Thanks for the link!!!

I have been working on using the OEM brackets (rails) all day, I have found that the seat is in no Danger of coming out being directly bolted to the seat rails unless the rails fail, I have not bent the rails in any way and don't plan to. The reason I say what I did about the seat is that I have broken two drill bits on it, man is that thing hard as hell!
    After several hours and trips to the hardware store I should have it finished tomorrow, I will take pics.
    Then once it's installed I will pull it again and replace it with the OEM seat til I get the roll bar in.
    I am however thinking of making my own sliders and rails for a more heavy duty set-up in the very near future using the design in the link.
    Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!!
    Now who wants to help me install a roll bar in two to three weeks?...lol
    After the seat I am not sure I want to tackle this on my own, I may just pay $175.00 to have it put in if I am left with no other option...lol
    I have a harness that came with the seats so I will be putting in harness tabs too.
    99 Miata Black