Thread: SHOCK: NC Hardtop Confirmed for Sept 2006

Default SHOCK: NC Hardtop Confirmed for Sept 2006

Metal-top MX-5: Mazda plans folding hardtop model for 2006
    JULIAN RENDELL
    Posted Date: 11/9/05

Mazda will launch a metal folding hardtop version of the MX-5 in September 2006, featuring a three-piece folding roof grafted onto the bodywork of Mazda’s two-seat roadster.

Developed in-house by Mazda rather than by an outside coachworks, and likely to be badged MX-5 Hardtop, the new model is targeted at buyers of the growing numbers of coupe-convertible models.

The sales growth in that segment left MX-5 with a smaller share of the overall market compared with when the Miata was launched
    15 years ago.

Apart from the new roof and its mechanism, the MX-5 fundamentally remains unchanged. The Hardtop will ride on the same wheelbase, have the same size cabin and feature the same rear overhang. The extra bulk of the metal folding roof will likely eliminate much of the car’s trunk space when folded down. The mechanism is sure to add weight compared to the manual folding soft-top, but the amount is unknown.

Such drawbacks are likely to be ignored by many buyers attracted by the metal roof’s greater resistance to vandalism, sense of security and refinement at cruising speeds. Look for the Hardtop to add $2,000 to $3,000 to the MX-5’s sticker price.

*sigh* I suppose this is necessary to keep the Miata program afloat, but what a disappointment! This also means a couple is likely not in the cards, given that having a hardtop and a coupe in the lineup would be rather redundant, from a marketing standpoint.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    *sigh* I suppose this is necessary to keep the Miata program afloat, but what a disappointment! This also means a couple is likely not in the cards, given that having a hardtop and a coupe in the lineup would be rather redundant, from a marketing standpoint.

S.
    I disagree.... A coupe is for someone who doesn't want a convertible. A folding hardtop is for people who want a convertible, but are willing to sacrifice weight and trunk space to avoid the issues that come along with a convertible.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    I disagree.... A coupe is for someone who doesn't want a convertible. A folding hardtop is for people who want a convertible, but are willing to sacrifice weight and trunk space to avoid the issues that come along with a convertible.
    For true enthusiasts, I agree with you. For the unwashed masses, I don't think they're sophisticated enough about their car preferences to care. I just don't think there are many people out there who:

A. Wouldn't buy a Miata convertible.
    B. Wouldn't buy a Miata hardtop. AND
    C. WOULD buy a Miata coupe.

Those are the only buyers Mazda cares about. If you would prefer a coupe (me), but are willing to buy a convertible, anyway, then Mazda still bags a sale. I just see the market of coupe-only buyers being pretty small.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    For true enthusiasts, I agree with you. For the unwashed masses, I don't think they're sophisticated enough about their car preferences to care. I just don't think there are many people out there who:

A. Wouldn't buy a Miata convertible.
    B. Wouldn't buy a Miata hardtop. AND
    C. WOULD buy a Miata coupe.

Those are the only buyers Mazda cares about. If you would prefer a coupe (me), but are willing to buy a convertible, anyway, then Mazda still bags a sale. I just see the market of coupe-only buyers being pretty small.

S.
    You need to consider the pricing. If they made the coupe the low end like most coupe vs convertibles, they could do something like this:

Coupe: $18-21k
    Convertible: $21-25k
    Hardtop: $25-28k (they won't offer this on the base car)

I think that would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    You need to consider the pricing. If they made the coupe the low end like most coupe vs convertibles, they could do something like this:

Coupe: $18-21k
    Convertible: $21-25k
    Hardtop: $25-28k (they won't offer this on the base car)

I think that would work.
    Excellent point. I agree!

S.