Thread: Paula Simons is a Moron

Default Paula Simons is a Moron

Put a leash on 'pit-bull' cars
    Drivers must know how to handle power

Paula Simons
    The Edmonton Journal

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Ricky Richardson doesn't look like a dangerous man.

Or a deadly one.

A slender 58-year old, with distinguished silver hair, a neatly trimmed beard, glasses and a pacemaker, the retired civil engineer appears the most upright of upright citizens.

But on Aug. 5, 2004, Ricky Richardson ran down Irene Nicholson, 55, with his super-charged black Corvette.

It was, of course, an accident. Richardson had been at a car show with a friend who was driving another souped-up Corvette. The men were stopped at a red light at 137th Avenue and Fort Road. Their two cars took off together out of the intersection; several eyewitnesses testified that the drivers appeared to be stunting or racing, though Richardson and his friend vehemently denied it.

Whatever happened, Richardson, who had accelerated rapidly, lost control of his high-powered car, which jumped the curb. The car, travelling between 60 km-h and 80 km-h, ploughed down Nicholson, who was on the sidewalk taking her regular after-supper walk through her neighbourhood.

The poor woman, who was partially deaf, may never have known what hit her.

At trial, Richardson's top-notch criminal defence lawyer, Brian Beresh, argued the accident was caused by a mechanical failure, that the car's anti-lock brakes and traction controls failed.

But Justice Paul Belzil didn't buy the argument. Richardson never tried to brake in the first place, said the judge. And, he found, if Richardson hadn't accelerated so aggressively, he would never have needed traction control in the first place.

And so, this Tuesday, Belzil found Richardson guilty of dangerous driving causing death. The maximum sentence is 14 years in jail. Richardson will be sentenced next Wednesday. His lawyer is already promising to file an appeal.

But the crime Ricky Richardson committed didn't begin that terrible August night when he punched the accelerator. The chain of events that led to Irene Nicholson's death began when Richardson decided to buy a Corvette with a special super-charger that gave the already-powerful car a 500-horsepower engine.
    Of course, any car or truck, driven recklessly or stupidly, can kill or maim. You can run someone down with a nice little Smart Car or Prius. But a muscle car like Richardson's super-charged Corvette is a far more dangerous vehicle to take to the road.

It's built for racing, not for navigating crowded city streets.

It's a high-performance car that demands expert handling and expert maintenance. Lose control of a such a vehicle, even for a minute, and it becomes a deadly weapon. It's like a Rottweiler of the road: lethal in the wrong hands.

No one "needs" to drive a car like this -- anymore than anyone "needs" to drive a Hummer or an Escalade. They're all fashion choices, a chance to parade your wealth and power. But when someone opts to drive an especially powerful vehicle, they ought to assume a higher duty of care. Make the most innocent mistake behind the wheel of a super car and you can do a lot of damage in a frighteningly short time.
    -------------------------

The tone of this article pisses me off. The issue is irresponsible driving, which has nothing to do with high horsepower. If you're stupid enough to drag race a 500hp Corvette on a public road, you deserve the suffer the consequences of your actions when things get out of control, but it has nothing to do with the car.

Are high hp cars harder to handle than a regular car? Well, they are if you drive around with the throttle planted all the time. Drive them like a normal adult, though, and there's nothing particularly difficult about driving one.

Plenty of accidents are caused by kids in riced out Civics, rednecks in pickups, and doped-up truckers. Should we ban those vehicles? Of course not. It's always about the driver (assuming the car is properly maintained).

The hyperbole in this article makes me sick. "Rottweiler of the road"??? Get a grip, lady. The guy who was driving this Vette is an idiot. Don't blame the car.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    The issue is irresponsible driving, which has nothing to do with high horsepower. If you're stupid enough to drag race a 500hp Corvette on a public road, you deserve the suffer the consequences of your actions when things get out of control, but it has nothing to do with the car.
    I agree completely, as would any reasonable adult. Unfortunately, assuming that the driver was at fault means we have to learn to take personal responsibility for our own actions, and as a society we have a damn hard time with that one.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

BTW, if a supercharged Corvette is the "rottweiler of the road: lethal in the wrong hands", does that make a stock Miata the "vaguely disgruntled Chihuahua of the road: likely to nip you but unlikely to draw blood"?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    BTW, if a supercharged Corvette is the "rottweiler of the road: lethal in the wrong hands", does that make a stock Miata the "vaguely disgruntled Chihuahua of the road: likely to nip you but unlikely to draw blood"?
    ROTFL! You forgot "gay". Always add "gay" whenever you're insulting a Miata.

S.

I agree with Srivendel and Altian, the focus should be placed on the driver, not the car. I NEVER race on the street. Its just stupid. After autocrossing for a couple years, I can honestly say I have never been anywhere near the limits of a car on the street. Just the thought kinda scares me, because when I'm at that limit, as when autocrossing, I don't think I could miss someone who pulls out infront of me, or be able to pull my car back into control in enought time to not crash. Some people just need to learn how to drive RIGHT. The sad part is, the people who need to, think they are the best drivers on the road. I'm not a perfect driver, and I'll be the first one to admit that. The chihuahua part was pretty funny as well.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Unfortunately, these "champions of the people" calling themselves journalists are far too common. It makes my blood boil!!! (Name that Fox commentator)

Street racing is stupid. They must be French Canadians.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews2004
    lol

Sounds oddly familiar to the "guns kill people" argument.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews2004
    Edmonton is in Western Canada (very little French spoken there). The names of the parties involved have no French origins.