Thread: Recommended Dyno shops in the metroplex?

Default Recommended Dyno shops in the metroplex?

I was looking for somewhere to get a few pulls earlier this week and one of the guys I talked to suggested that I post the question on the forum. I ended up going to a Kwik Kar shop in Richardson. Anybody have good or bad experiences in DFW?

Speedwerks in Lewisville is supposed to be good.

Hi, nice to meet you. Whatcha got?

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

IS that the shop on Jupiter?

I was planning to take the car out tehre Saturday to see what it coudl do...

$30 for 3 pulls, $45 if you want a wideband.. I know several Rx7 guys have gone up there.

Speedtek in Dallas is where I got my 7 dyno'ed last fall.. good times.
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Thanks for the messages guys. I probably need to check into Speedworks again. I called them Monday and an answering machine came on and said something to the effect of either we are closed or we are really busy. Needless to say, I didn't leave a message. A buddy of mine has an s2000 and he's been going to this Kwik Kar shop in Richardson. They have a pretty nice setup and one of the guys can also tune. They charge around $45 for three pulls with A/F.

I have a 99 and I picked up an FMII late last year. Over the past 5 months either I've been getting used to the extra pickup or its been slowing down some, so I decided to see how it does on the dyno....eric

Quote Originally Posted by elee
    Thanks for the messages guys. I probably need to check into Speedworks again. I called them Monday and an answering machine came on and said something to the effect of either we are closed or we are really busy. Needless to say, I didn't leave a message. A buddy of mine has an s2000 and he's been going to this Kwik Kar shop in Richardson. They have a pretty nice setup and one of the guys can also tune. They charge around $45 for three pulls with A/F.

I have a 99 and I picked up an FMII late last year. Over the past 5 months either I've been getting used to the extra pickup or its been slowing down some, so I decided to see how it does on the dyno....eric
    In Garland there is Jotech (famed Honda AC tuner) and Rotary Performance (famed fastest RX-7 tuner, pretty sure).

I've had good expericen with both as far as parts go. No dyno experience though.

Elee where in Arlington are you? Seems like theres a nice concentration of miatas here in Arlington. There's another turbo guy in town that is building a custom T3/T4. We should all meet up sometime @ Gilligans or something. I'm at UTA.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

There's also Alamo in Arlington as well. Redline off Colorado (in Arlington) has a dino too.

Did a dyno day at Rotary Performance for a 9-11 fundraiser they had, they seemed pretty competent then.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot
    There's also Alamo in Arlington as well. Redline off Colorado (in Arlington) has a dino too.

Really?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Elee where in Arlington are you? Seems like theres a nice concentration of miatas here in Arlington. There's another turbo guy in town that is building a custom T3/T4. We should all meet up sometime @ Gilligans or something. I'm at UTA.

Chris
    I'm in south Arlington, on the edge of Mansfield. It would be good to get together sometime. My schedule can be a little challenging (out of town work and kids). I was at an Intro to Autocross event at Pennington Field a few months ago and met a student with a pretty nice Miata, I don't recall if he was from UTA.

Eric [/quote]

I've heard that Redline in Arlington is good. Alamo in Arlington always had a bad reputation with the DFW DSM group, but I have no dyno experience with either of them. Honduh guy in my office swears by Redline, so I think I'll give them a try sometime in the near future.
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark52
    Alamo in Arlington always had a bad reputation with the DFW DSM group, but I have no dyno experience with either of them.
    I've never used Alamo's dyno, but I did have them thoroughly screw up swaybar installation a long time ago. Here's what I had to say about it then (dredged up from the Prelude ML archives):

I took my car to this miserable little hole-in-the-wall in March of '99 looking for a couple of things to tweak the handling. I was looking for a set of stiffer sway bars and a strut tower brace, and Alamo said they could take care of me. They could install a set of Suspension Techniques swaybars, and a tower brace, all for a reasonable amount of money. Sounded good, so I took my car down and dropped it off. When I went back a few hours later to pick it up, I started the engine. Right away, the entire front end of the car started to vibrate, in direct proportion to engine speed. Not good. I asked the tech what the hell they had done to my car, and he said that the clearance on the front bar had been a little tight, but they thought they had fixed it. So they put my car back up on the lift, and they take off the spacers between the bushing bracket for the sway bar and the frame of the car, hoping to increase the clearance between the bar and the catalytic converter. They had already removed the heat shield to the cat, but they still couldn't make the fit right. The tech even said "we've never had this kind of trouble with any other Preludes..." Anyway, they seem to get another 1/2 inch or so of clearance, so I drive it home. On the way home, every time I hit a bump the bar clanks off of the top of the cat. So I take my car back in to them the following Monday evening to have it fixed. How do they solve the problem? By taking the catalytic converter off, and HAMMERING the outside flange flat with a five-pound hammer. Needless to say, I was NOT impressed with their professionalism, although the bar was no longer rubbing. To make a longer story a little shorter, time goes by, I meet Billy & Todd & company, and I join NTPOG. One day we're sitting around, and I mention my little experience. Billy says that this sounds very suspicious, as he has ST bars also and has no fitment problems at all. He also mentions that the first set of bars ST sent to him were meant for a 4th gen, and that they didn't fit at all... So we get up under Billy's car and mine and compare the bars, and they are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Turns out Alamo had jimmied a 4th gen bar to fit my 5th gen, even though they are completely different parts, with different diameters and different locations and degrees of bends. After six weeks of threatening legal action and to reverse the charge on my credit card (don't EVER pay cash for anything at a speed shop), Alamo finally owned up to the problem and replaced the rigged bar with a proper 5th gen bar (and replaced the mangled cat they went after with a hammer), but they obviously didn't care enough to do the work right in the first place. They are a bunch of world class idiots, and I will NEVER be using their services again.
    On the bright side, it was this little experience that led me to learn how to do my own wrenching.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Suspension Modder

elee...are you the guy with the ...um.. blue FMII miata?

That is "Flyin96M", and he has a FMIII actually I believe.

I only have the greddy turbo.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92
    That is "Flyin96M", and he has a FMIII actually I believe.

I only have the greddy turbo.

Chris
    elee hasn't responded, so I will for him.

He's got a Twilight Blue '99 with Dan Pedroza's old FMII setup. He was one of my students at the first PCA Autocross School earlier this season. Fun car - lotsa power, needed lotsa more grip to really utilize it, though.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Who are you talkin bout Iain?

Chris

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    He's got a Twilight Blue '99 with Dan Pedroza's old FMII setup. He was one of my students at the first PCA Autocross School earlier this season.
    I remember him. I haven't seen him at any events this year though.... wonder why. That valhalla guy disappeared too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tn
    elee...are you the guy with the ...um.. blue FMII miata?
    elee hasn't responded, so I will for him.

He's got a Twilight Blue '99 with Dan Pedroza's old FMII setup. He was one of my students at the first PCA Autocross School earlier this season. Fun car - lotsa power, needed lotsa more grip to really utilize it, though.
    Yeah, what he said. Just got more grip yesterday.

I remember him. I haven't seen him at any events this year though.... wonder why. That valhalla guy disappeared too.
    I have a hard time getting out much. I have found that having a wife and three young boys restricts some of my two-seater fun time. That being said I can get a kitchen pass once in a while...eric

On the bright side, it was this little experience that led me to learn how to do my own wrenching.
    Good lesson to learn. Anyway, Alamo has a dyno, and I used them when I drove LS1's. It seemed acurate, and It is close to my home in Mansfield.

The only way I'd ever let anyone do mods on my car is if they specialized in my make/model of car.

BTW, We should put together a Arl/Mansfield GTG. Maybe hit the Kenadale track for a couple of runs and finish off at Hooters, to steel a line left in the Drag Racing forum. Or maybe crash a Mustang GTG, I hear they like to meet on Thursdays at a sonic near by. They are always so miphed that us dark siders are faster than their V-8's
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Sounds like fun. I'm up for sme 1/8 th mile runs. I don't wanna kill my dif.... yet though.

Chris

Dyno Day at ATS Racing this weekend!

http://www.dallasimports.net/forums/...showtopic=3997

CATERED BY MOES!

Christin
    99 Miata FM turbo kit 202rwhp
    93 MR2 Turbo 291 rwhp
    04 Jeep Grand Cherokee 180 rwhp

http://www.atsracing.net

1200hp Dynojet 248c