Thread: Laguna Seca in the RT2000

Default Laguna Seca in the RT2000

Here is a hot lap for you to enjoy:

Exiting turn eleven on to the front straight, in first gear, you track out on
    the rumble strips to the right
    with your right foot flat. Fifty-eight hundred RPM comes up quickly and you
    pull back on the shifter for
    second then momentarily releasing the shift to allow it to re-center. RPMs only
    drop about five hundred
    with the close ratio transmission, so it's time to shift in an instant. POP,
    to third. Aim for the "Z" of
    the MAZDA bridge. POP, to fourth as you reach start/finish. You're climbing but
    dont realize it as the car
    is still rapidly accelerating, but you see the top of the hill and look for the
    telephone polls appearing over
    the horizon. Aim for the second one to line you up for turn one, which is not
    really a turn, only a slight
    bend to the left in the front straight. POP, fifth gear as you crest the hill,
    still accelerating quickly on
    the downhill toward the turn-in for turn two, the Andretti hairpin, a double
    apex slow turn to the left.
    Fighting the tendancy to lift at turn in, you slowly and smoothly make the
    slight steering change toward
    the apex. Halfway from turn-in to the apex you lift and brake HARD! POP, POP,
    POP down three gears
    starting to ease off the brake, trail braking two-thirds of the way to the
    second apex, maintaining some
    throttle. As you near the apex, looking down track, begin rolling on the
    throttle quickly as you track out
    at the far end of the rumble strips on drivers right, maintaining the same
    steering angle to continue the
    arc to the left side of the track for turn three. POP, up a gear to third.
    Turn three is slightly more than
    ninety degrees, so turn in and apex are a bit late. Brake hard and quicky just
    prior to turn in, then back
    on the power to plant the car as you apex on the curbing, looking down track
    toward turn four, another
    right hander. You will use all the rumble strip on the left at trackout as
    you're accelerating hard toward
    turn four. POP, up another gear at the bridge, lift a bit to transfer just a
    bit of weight forward just prior
    to turn in, then roll on the power quickly. Turn four is only about a sixty
    degree turn, so full power comes
    quickly and, again, you use every bit of the rumble strips at track out. RPM's
    are climbing toward the
    rev-limiter (6300) as you gradually move to the right for turn five, a fast,
    on-camber left hander. This is
    an excellent place to pass, so you check your (tiny) mirrors for traffic. You
    may bounce off the rev-
    limiter as you pass under the bridge, but turn-in is coming up so you continue.
    Brake at the "2" marker,
    POP, down to third, turn in and roll on the throttle. This is a classic corner
    so you apex mid-corner as
    you-re coming to full throttle. The banking catches you at track-out, so you
    can carry more speed here
    than you think. It is imperative to get on the power early as you are beginning
    the long climb up to the
    corkscrew with only the high-speed turn six bend in between. POP, up another
    gear to fourth, staying to
    the right edge of the track. At the bridge, brake early before the crest, as
    there is a slight depression
    just prior to turn in. Get your braking done quicky, then allow the car to
    settle before turn-in. The car
    will compress here, allowing more speed than you think. Start rolling on the
    power, then apex on the left
    curbing with full throttle following quickly. Track out three-quartes up the
    rumble strip on the right and
    maintain a smooth arc to the left, careful not to scrub speed as the hill gets
    steeper. At the first crest
    you shold be on the curbing to the far left, still in fourth with full throttle.
    This is turn seven, but not
    much of a turn, only a bend to the right to set you up for turns 8 and 8A. Now
    you can see the final crest
    and you aim for the far right. You want to lift, but don't. If you got turn
    seven right, you are parallel to
    the right edge of the track over the crest. You're still full throttle, but now
    you can see enough of the
    track to make turn eight. Now you can brake HARD! POP, POP, down two gears and
    turn left smoothly
    and quickly, aiming for the third tree ahead and to the right. A proper turn
    will cause an apex on the
    curbing to the left then the track falls away. Maintain a steady, partial
    throttle and wait.....until the car
    contacts the asphalt about twenty feet lower. The tree is still directly ahead,
    and as the suspnsion
    begins to compress, you feed on the power and begin a gradual turn to the right.
    The car feels like it has
    gained another fifty horsepower and you see the late, late turn in for turn nine
    down the hill. As soon as
    you begin to straighten the wheel, POP, up to third, POP, shortshift to fourth
    to settle the car before
    turn-in for nine. Feather the throttle as necessary to help turn the car toward
    the turn nine apex even
    further down the hill, then roll on the power, tracking out to the right on the
    rumble strips, almost in the
    gravel trap! Gradually move to the far left for turn ten. You are still
    descending! Turn ten is a very fast,
    banked, right-hand sweeper, taken in fourth gear. Brake a bit early, then back
    on the power, looking past
    the apex on the right to the track-out at the bottom of the hill (finally!).
    One more turn to go, turn
    eleven is the slowest part of the track, and the most important because it leads
    to the long front
    straight. Move to the right after turn ten and line up parallel to the right
    edge of the track. This is
    another great passing zone under braking, so watch for traffic. Brake early and
    HARD at the #3 marker,
    POP, POP, POP down to first, turn toward the apex on the left and....do it all
    over again!
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Thanks! That was fun!
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Yes... lot's of fun!
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Fun
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Thanks! That was fun!
    Did you notice that stuff while we were pounding around Laguna in GT4 yesterday? I didnt.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Did you notice that stuff while we were pounding around Laguna in GT4 yesterday? I didnt.
    I'm sure GT4 can't do justice to the corkscrew.....or the braking G's into turn two! Does GT4 have a Skip Barber RT2000?
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    I'm sure GT4 can't do justice to the corkscrew.....or the braking G's into turn two! Does GT4 have a Skip Barber RT2000?
    I don't think anything short of being there can do justice to the corkscrew...

Nothing as light as the RT2000 except for the Caterham (with no wings).
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

OK... I'm a video game junkie. For the record, the phone poles are missing from GT4, but the corkscrew trees are there - albeit not quite tall enough. Most of the curbing is in the right place. It may be possible, but I can't get any of my GT4 cars to turn in on turn 2 unless I start braking while still in a straight line.

Forza? Wow... Thanks Merv! You cut a full second off my "slow car" lap time. Phone pole appears on the horizon coming up to turn 1 (and makes for cleaner steering). Entering turn 2 before braking and trail braking to the second apex works beautifully. I don't think I'm driving the corkscrew any differently, but using the tree as a reference point frees up quite a few brain cycles and makes the trip just a hair more consistent.

Tonight I'll check Pro Race Driver, but I suspect it's missing all the landmarks. However, it does have a car fairly close to the RT2000 if I can remember how to make it available at Laguna.

For giggles, here's the "track profile" from the game website... http://community.forzamotorsport.net...lagunaseca.htm
    Last edited by tailchaser; 11-29-2005 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Forza? Wow... Thanks Merv! You cut a full second off my "slow car" lap time. Phone pole appears on the horizon coming up to turn 1 (and makes for cleaner steering). Entering turn 2 before braking and trail braking to the second apex works beautifully. I don't think I'm driving the corkscrew any differently, but using the tree as a reference point frees up quite a few brain cycles and makes the trip just a hair more consistent.

Tonight I'll check Pro Race Driver, but I suspect it's missing all the landmarks. However, it does have a car fairly close to the RT2000 if I can remember how to make it available at Laguna.

For giggles, here's the "track profile" from the game website... http://community.forzamotorsport.net...lagunaseca.htm
    KEWL!