Thread: "Official" US Army Video Game??

Default "Official" US Army Video Game??

I don't like this.

I've never been to war, but it doesn't seem right that the Army/Government is sponsoring and selling a videogame that glorifies the experience. To me, military service carries a sense of gravity, duty, and purpose. I admire anyone who risks his or her life to serve this country, but should the governmnet be glorifying the experience?

S.

I remember about 2-3 years ago when America's Army hit the internet as a freeware PC game as sort of tour of what the armed forces is all about.

Heck, I think even the armed forces even sponsor some of the multiplayer tournaments for the game as well as have sign-up booths for those who want to take a step into the reality of being a soldier.
    November 12, 2005 - A new beginning
    Devil: 1999 Brilliant Black NB - Base Edition - Stock Spec

AIM ID: ZeroXR13mg
    http://zeroxr.com

While I believe the game started online was a recruiting ploy originally, and to a certain extent this one is too.

But make no mistake about the game's developers making a profit. The console versions are now more based on the game dev. making a nice profit with the permission of the Army. See also other examples such as Ghost Recon, SOCOM, and Rainbow Six.

I don't see how a "video game" in anyway can be seen as glorifying war. I especially can't see the leap from permission from the Army to full out sponsoring the glorification of war.

While we're on the subject, there are many TV shows, books (fiction and non), and movies that portray war and the military. Most are purely based on an author's imagination. I don't think even more than %1 of these authors have the intention or actually result in anything negative from these products.

Morality should be taught by the parent's and you can't expect a kid to learn his values completly from a video game.

Sorry guys, I just can't see it.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92
    Morality should be taught by the parent's and you can't expect a kid to learn his values completly from a video game.

Chris

Chris
    Very well put. You've got wisdom far beyond your years, Chris.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

...you can't expect a kid to learn his values completly from a video game.
    Yeah, for my kids it's a combination of video games, Spongebob and cable tv.

...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)