Thread: Koni Re-valve alternatives?

Default Koni Re-valve alternatives?

I have some vintage Koni's for my Datsun Roadster that need re-valved. The cost from Koni to do this is around $200 a corner. Yikes! I can get a new set for close to that. So, are there any TCB options out there for a local re-valve?

P.S. I'm not a fan of Koni. I had a set of rear Yellows for my Mini. When one failed after 1.5 AutoX seasons, Lee Grimes wouldn't honor the warranty as he claimed "It's obvious they've been raced". No S&#t Sherlock... What, do you think I bought them for car show bling? Sheeeesh.

There are three authorised koni revalve centers. Koni themselves, truechoice on the east coast, and propartsusa on the west. All of them are likely to be similar in cost, and have a backlog.

Do you need revalving or just a rebuild?

Quote Originally Posted by Davidss View Post
    There are three authorised koni revalve centers. Koni themselves, truechoice on the east coast, and propartsusa on the west. All of them are likely to be similar in cost, and have a backlog.

Do you need revalving or just a rebuild?
    Not sure... how can I determine? Maybe 3 rebuilds & 1 revalve. The fronts aren't that bad, but my right passenger shock is compressed.

Biltstien.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

A rebuild is when you want to re-build and older shock and make it like new. A revalve is when you want to take a normal shock and change the valving for racing/setup etc.

Changing the fluid and seals should not be hard if car shocks translate to motorcycle shocks at all (no clue if the do). A re-valve would only be needed if you weren't happy with the valving (damping) when they were new or are now faster or using the car for a different purpose and want it dialed in more.
    '92 LS3

Car shocks are usually sealed and non user serviceable without special equipment. Even FCM was having to use schrader valves to refill the shocks there for a while. I think he got the setup to do it now.

There are several folks locally with the ability and equipment to do Biltstiens, along with several other types. Don't think Koni is one of them.
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Davidss View Post
    A rebuild is when you want to re-build and older shock and make it like new. A revalve is when you want to take a normal shock and change the valving for racing/setup etc.
    Gotcha. I should have ask Mr. Internet first, but now I know. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    There are several folks locally with the ability and equipment to do Biltstiens, along with several other types. Don't think Koni is one of them.
    Boo. If anyone does know of a metroplex shop that does rebuild Koni's, please chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Biltstien.
    Teachers!

Got me. I've always said "bil-steen" and in German, the pronounced vowel is placed second, thus my error. I guess I'll have to learn how to say "bil-stine".
    Polished Turd Racing

After being annoyed by my suppliers at Bilstein for three years, I now make sure to pronounce it Bill-Steen every time I speak to them.

If you really want to rebuild your Bilsteins, Maxcy can do them.

Nobody want's to do yellow Konis, though Maxcy did my aluminum bodied 2800 series.
    Jason McDaniel