Thread: MSR last Saturday

Default MSR last Saturday

Where were all the members? I expected a huge crowd wanting to get on the new course for the first time, and we only had eight for the first session. A few more showed up for session's two and three, then I was off to work on the house. It was an interesting group of cars, while I was there. Mike, Riggs, and I in Miatas. Jack leading the pack in his yellow Mustang, the Carrea GT, a silver Elise, a slow Porsche 944, and some more.... Here's my take of a "not so hot" lap with no curbing.

The track is FUN! The "Pipeline" (downhill from turn one) is very fast. From a late apex of turn one, it's flat out to the bottom. Moderate braking for the left then flat again to the "Hill" (tight, up hill left at the far southwest corner) where you drop to second for the climb. It's not as bad as I expected, as long as you can keep the momentum going. From the apex, feed on the power and stay flat up over the "Cliff", on the far left of the track. The car get's just a bit light, but not a problem. Now you're at the big right sweeper that goes and goes, and goes. First is a drop in elevation, a bit off camber, then a gradual climb that's nicely banked on the outside at turn in. There is really no straight, for braking, so trail braking is in order as the suspension compresses. Stay wide for a very late apex, then let the car drift left as far as it wants (momentum here), ready for the dog-leg to the left. Apex isn't important here, but it should be near the top of the rise. A natural track out to the right sets you up perfectly for the left hander that leads on to the front straight(bend?). Moderate braking here and maybe a downshift before turn in. This is also a late apex, then pick your line as you head back for turn one, which is entered at the right edge of the track, just like you're coming out of pit lane. Out of all the corners, I believe turn one is going to be the "gotcha" corner on this track. Entry is fast, it's starting downhill, and is decreasing radius. If you're late enough at turn in, the apex is easy to find, even without curbing, and down the "Pipeline" you go! If not, you're in the dirt :)
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    Where were all the members?
    The 5 or 6 of us that were there all got 6-7/10ths ride-a-longs. That was around 1 or 2 pm. Great fun, can't wait to get it open.

Yup.

Surely a fun track. Can't wait to drive it myself but as a passenger it was a blast!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)