Thread: Help!! Weird Oil Leak Aghhh

Default Help!! Weird Oil Leak Aghhh

I have an oil leak somewhere and am having problems finding it.It is entirely on the passanger side of the car. I have replaced the valve cover gasket and the cas O ring and 3m yellow stuff(ed) everything and ran in and I KNOW FOR A FACT that it is not lekaing form there ( valve cover or cas-o) but whenever I stop I can smell oil BAD ( I CHOKE ON IT, BAD) so i have only a couple of options left to me and no the coils do not have the bottom bolt in it. no it is not the oil filter ( no double gasket ) the oil on the dipstick drops 4mm or so every 100 miles or so,that eliminates it being anything other that engine oil,

1) oil pan gasket which i did not replce as I said i was going to in a previous post never replaced the oil pump found out it was a bad sensor ( i have a new one now.
    2) head gasket ( but it is not leaking radiator fluid) 3) rear main seal ( but how is it getting by the ac hoses area)was repalced last year when I did the clutch
    4) front seal
    5) I have a crack in the block that I cannot find on the passanger side of the motor
    6) ?????????? Something not mentioned here

HELP I just got a new job and I need this car to be running perfect and it is except for this oil leak.

thaks everyone, me and rory are stumped

rich

Have you bothered to pressure wash the engine to get it cleaned off so you might get a visual on what may be leaking?

You need to see what is leaking that's going to be the easiest way to figure out where the problem may be, otherwise we all just guessing.

Some history = http://forums.dfwmiata.com/showthread.php?t=4564

Yes I have ( thank you POS for replying so quickly) this is fresh since I have done all the above mentioned work I took it to be steamed. ( I know aguy who knows a guy at a truck stop nearby).

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Miatafreek
    Yes I have ( thank you POS for replying so quickly) this is fresh since I have done all the above mentioned work I took it to be steamed. ( I know aguy who knows a guy at a truck stop nearby).

Rich
    So where do you see oil??

Some good stuff was listed on your post on Miata.net -> http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=161413

it is all on the passanger side of the motor form the heads down but I find it on the "floor" by the ac hoses and the washer fluid bottle that area and on all the electrical wires and the clutch hoses and the starter area ( a little vauge I know but that the only way I can think of to explain it.

Rich hopefully soon without leaks

(In a cheesy radio announcer's voice): Live from Rory's house, as the oil drips, will it stop , can they find it in time, WILL it make a mess, stay tuned for the answer dum dum DUM,

ha ha ha Insanity is right arround the corner

Rich

it is all on the passanger side of the motor form the heads down but I find it on the "floor" by the ac hoses and the washer fluid bottle that area and on all the electrical wires and the clutch hoses and the starter area ( a little vauge I know but that the only way I can think of to explain it.
    Yesh..... Have you thought about taking it to a shop?

One of the Replies on Miata.net sounds like a great plan:
    Quote Originally Posted by richnormand on Miata.net
    Hmm. either you are burning it or losing it. Have the car running on the hoist at the local garage after an engine shampoo or steam clean. Then look carefully and examine with a high power lamp from all angles including underneath. If that does not work there is a special process with UV dyes added to the oil that will fluoresces and stain the metal giving you a trace back to where it came from. Doing this on a hoist with the engine running eliminates the wind splatter and makes it easier to locate the source.

No I'm broke ( every shop wants 60 bucks to diagnose the problem here) but I can afford to fix it, and I have the tools, I just need to figure out where it is coming from and fix it getting as many ideas a possible ( and again POS thanks for the rapid responses)

rich

could it be leaking from the tube above the oil fliter ( of course mine has the cover but would a crack in the cover cause it leak this much ( i think I found a winner ) I will check tommorow morning

Rich

Put it on Jack Stands......Start it up....and get under it....take a good light with you and don't come out til you find the leak.....
    Sounds like we need a Tech Day to help this poor soul out!
    Last edited by riverracer; 12-14-2005 at 08:49 AM.
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

Talking

River I would take any and all help I can get . My good friend shane who is ASE cert and a mechanic down at goodyear is puzzled but he doesn't really work on miatas that much said just replace all the gaskets that way you know for sure.

RIch

Speaking of oil filters... Is yours on tight? What brand?

Poorly fitting oil filters can cause really nifty oil leaks that are a b**** to spot since they usually only spit oil at high RPM... but given the right combination of looseness and/or wrong size filter, oil will shoot for MILES when it does come out...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

The oil pressure sensor is on the passenger side of the motor. Check that?

If it isn't the valve cover, oil pressure sensor, oil filter, oil pump or oil pan gasket then you have me stumped.

It seems to me if you have had the engine cleaned you should be able to see where the oil is leaking and deduce what is leaking based on where the oil is.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Speaking of oil filters... Is yours on tight? What brand?
    On that line of thinking, perhaps there was an extra gasket not removed at the last oil change?

no, checked no double gasket Treibenschnell,Thanks.black roadster I will check while I am checking the filter AGAIN,Thanks.tailchaser I get mine from Auto Zone,it's mobile 106.

Rich

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

no, checked no double gasket
    You would have to remove the existing oil filter (removing the oil first would be a good idea) to see if the old 'o-ring' gasket is stuck to the housing.

no, checked no double gasket Treibenschnell,Thanks.black roadster I will check while I am checking the filter AGAIN,Thanks.tailchaser I get mine from Auto Zone,it's mobile 106.

Rich
    You may want to try the correct filter, cost ya like $10.00 to eliminate that as a possible issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Autozone.com
    OIL FILTER for a
    1992 MAZDA MIATA

STP S6607 $3.99

FRAM SPIN ON TYPE PH6607 $5.29
    FULL FLOW FILTER

BOSCH 3300 $5.99

MOBIL M1-108 $9.99

K&N HP-1008 $12.99
    Last edited by POS Racing; 12-14-2005 at 01:52 PM.

Angry

MOBIL M1-108 $9.99 i put down 106 I went out to my supply in the garage and they are all 108's you are right ,I'm sorry I was typing off the top of my head there. on the last oil change I checked an no double gasket I'm going to remove the intake and see what i can see under there I just steam cleaned it and drove 5 miles and then stopped ( the car wash is exactly 5 miles away , or the one i like anyway) so i figure there is already a leak on the k member so I willl like i said before remove the intake and see things a lot clearer from that angle

if it is'nt one thing then its another.
    rich

Did it start leaking shortly after your last oil change?

Banned
    Fort Worthless, Tx And deep in the land of STRESSSSSS!!!

no 2 oil changes ago I got lazy and took it to kwik car and it has been leaking ever since. .. ...

BTw check your PM in miata.net

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Rpt1826
    no 2 oil changes ago I got lazy and took it to kwik car and it has been leaking ever since. .. ...

BTw check your PM in miata.net

Rory
    Thanks for using the correct account to post this time. Please continue to do so, Rory. Future mis-use of other folks' accounts will result in moderhater moments.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton