Thread: The new autocross trailer - updated 5/19

Default The new autocross trailer - updated 5/19

Well, I may have managed to drill a hole in one of my race tires, but at least I'm making progress:

As you can see, there will be plenty of room in this trailer when I'm done. [/img]
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Hey... I like it! Now that you've got the prototype almost done, shall I bring mine over for the conversion?

You're gonna put a big wing on it, right? :)

NEXT. You got one POS?

Stain it and add some brass hardware and it will look sweet!!

Uhhh, looks wider than a miata. LoL

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Hey... I like it! Now that you've got the prototype almost done, shall I bring mine over for the conversion?
    Bring money. I'll probably have less than $200 in materials when I'm done (minus the tire, of course), but I'll have a lot of hours of labor in it.

POS, I'm either going to paint it white or silver, and for the final finished look I'd like to cap the edges in aluminum or diamond plate. Something to match the stainless steel trim on the bling-bling LED tailights.

miatamaniac, it does look pretty big in the pictures, and it looks a little bigger than I had anticipated, although it's only marginally wider than the stacked tires on the old trailer. Overall, the new box is 52" wide and 56" long - 12" wider and 8" longer than the old platform the tires and toolbox were on.

Part of why it looks bigger is the frame lift I had to give it so that the box would clear the wheels. Now all I need are some mud & snow tires for it.

Tomorrow the central spine goes in, the lids go on, the fenders go back on, and I'll coat it with primer. It won't be finished by this weekend (I haven't even ordered the tailights yet), but it'll be functional, and it'll be at Mineral Wells on Sunday.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Those of us running on the 12 inch wheels are particularly curious regarding the details of the frame lift... I've been pondering this for a while, but everytime I look at it, I get thoroughly discouraged by the intrusion of the wheels and the thought of having to lift the whole mess 2 inches off the deck.

Those of you with 12" wheels may be SOL. I raised the frame by about and inch, and I've got just under an inch of clearance between the bottom of the trailer and the top of the tire.
    Iain

Looks aerodynamic....

Schweet!

Are you going to stack the tires and leave the other side as your "box"? Are you going to add the tire posts just to keep them in place? Where's the Margarita Machine going ?

I can't wait to see it in Mineral Wells this weekend. It looks great soo far...

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    Schweet!

Are you going to stack the tires and leave the other side as your "box"? Are you going to add the tire posts just to keep them in place? Where's the Margarita Machine going ?

I can't wait to see it in Mineral Wells this weekend. It looks great soo far...
    Yes, yes, and the budget for the margarita machine got used to replace the tire I screwed up.

The tires will be stacked in the back half, and the front half should have room for all of my tools, my chair, my cooler, and a family of midgets.

I built it big enough to hold two full sets of wheels and tires, just in case I ever get around to buying another set of wheels. This way I'd have room to bring rain & dry tires to a long distance event. I may even cut some panels that could lay on top of the sets of tires so that I'd still have room for some of my tools in the trailer with both sets of tires, but I'll worry about that later.
    Iain

Well, I'm making progress. Got the center support in today, primered the whole thing, and installed the lids. Still have some work to do, but it will defeinitely be ready for this weekend, although it won't have the final painting or trim installed.

Some pics:

Iain

You may want to engineer a wing for that trailer after all... Riding behind you (even at 15 car lengths) at 60mph+ was pretty choppy, even compared to that travel trailer I got stuck behind on 820.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    You may want to engineer a wing for that trailer after all... Riding behind you (even at 15 car lengths) at 60mph+ was pretty choppy, even compared to that travel trailer I got stuck behind on 820.
    There are (2) suggestions for wings.....

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Maybe you could just adjust the angle on the front lid so that when it pops open, it doesn't flip all the way over and you get some down force.

By the way, I almost needed one of those polished boxes on the way home. I stopped behind Altiain while he was closing the lid. Some fool in a minivan finally got it whoaed beside me in the turn lane. I don't think he ever did figure out why I was sitting at a green light with my hazard flashers on. Then again, when your shoulders are holding up your butt, it's hard to figure out most anything
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Thanks, onething. That's what I get for getting a drink out of the cooler while I was talking on the phone to the wife - I forgot to latch the lid shut again.

On the plus side, there isn't even a mark in the lid, even after it flipped open at 40mph.

POS, are you saying that there was turbulence behind me, or that the trailer was bouncing around? Because it actually feels like the car rides smoother than it did with the old trailer (which it ought to with an extra 40lbs of tongue weight). Still had plenty of passing power on those country roads as well. It's just too bad I didn't know where the heck I was going. I kept waiting for you guys to get around that stupid Cherokee...

If it was turbulence, then let me quote Gumball 3000: "What's behind me does not matter!"
    Iain