Thread: street tires

Default street tires

KUMHO ecsta 711
    Are theses good street tires?
    thanks

"Good" street tires depend almost entirely upon what you want your tires to do.

If you want a long-ish lasting tire that will suffice in hot, cold, wet, dry and maybe even slippery, the 711 is not bad.

If you want cheap, fairly quiet, longish lasting that does pretty well in warm and dry or wet, but will suffice in cold and maybe wet, the Hankook 405 is cheaper - and probably stickier during 99% of the weather in Dallas.

If you're just wondering whether the sidewall will explode and want something to hold your rims off the rocks, then no, probably not, so the 711 should be fine.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I had 711s on my last car (civic) and they we great. not as great in the rain as the 712s I have now, but for the price they were great tires. Just my
    No more Miata

I am looking for tires that will put up with some abuse. I like driving sideways around corners. Yes i know that will shorten my tire life span.

Any other recommendations?
    Discount tire does not seem to carry the hankooks on their site. I think those are actually what i have on the back now. Not positive just know they are hankooks.

They have them...See this thread

Per TC's recomendation... call Al Cavan at Coit & 190 location - 209 Coit rd, Plano, TX 75093 - 972.867.8896
    No more Miata

The Hankook RS2's are a great tire! We have them on our '02 and plan to get the soon on the '99!

Jolberry that thread is really old but i will call at lunch, see what they can do for me cause if i could replace all 4 that would be nice or a great deal on 2 and an alignment. woohooo
    thanks for all the help guys

Quote Originally Posted by dyingbreed
    Jolberry that thread is really old
    Not really Tailchaser got those tires last week, see the last post!

I probably should have been more clear in that I got the falken Ziex 512 which is a great 60/65 series tire... Probably not bad in the shorter side walls, either, but not quite the same kick-ass bargain.
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

the resurection of the thread is new, the original TCB deal is old.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    The Hankook RS2's are a great tire! We have them on our '02 and plan to get the soon on the '99!
    Did I mention these are cheaper than what you are considering??

Linky!

I've got 711's on Sunny and Dimples and I like them, for two reasons: Cheap ($38 for 195/50-15s) and Not much traction, making them a hoot on the street anytime I want to hang the rear out. Surprisingly, on the track, they do pretty well. If I go out to the Ranch this Friday, that's what I'll be on :)
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

4 hankook 195/50-15 $35each
    4 mounting $10 each
    4 replacement certs balance yadda yadda yadda $80.00
    $240.00 total for four, and i was looking at 2 of the 711's for $238.12
    thanks guys
    tcb saves the day and my wallet

Enjoy!

I think i got there at 8:00am on the dot, I was back in my car at 8:24am.
    Thanks again Tailchaser.
    and BTW he still has 17 of these left.