Thread: Aftermarket steering wheel question...

Default Aftermarket steering wheel question...

OK... I picked up a Momo 78 along with the quick release and the adapter from OK Miata... Deb even gave me the expired sales price on the quick release...

Now I have it all put together but the horn button does not fit in the steering wheel. It just flops all around the hole. What's missing from the picture to make that Momo horn button fit in correctly?

Also, picture B shows a nut... It didn't come with the quick disconnect. Anyone know the size & thread count on it so I can pick one up somewhere? I can probably get Deb to ship it to me, but I'd like to put it in tomorrow (Friday)...

Thanks!

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

good luck.
    99 Miata Black

This piece you can see on the back of the wheel sandwiched the button on my momo.

From what I remember of my Momo wheel, the horn button should snap in. It has a round metal clip on the button.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Thanks!

I'm missing the piece on the back of the wheel. Did that come with the wheel or with the adapter?

I got a billet adapter and not a standard type...

RJ

I got my wheel used and it came with it.

Mine came from R-Speed and it was complete. I think they owe you a part.
    ...and across the line.

Thanks guys - I got it installed in the car today...

I also removed the clock spring and drilled out the side of the key switch mechanism and put a sheet metal screw in it to defeat the steering wheel lock. (safety issue on a Spec car - it must be disabled)

I'm off to scour a couple of junk yards for some parts I need and after I get 'em installed I'll update the web site with more pics.

RJ

YAY!

Parts were nabbed and some of them were installed in the dark tonight with a very small but VERY bright LED flashlight. Some pics were put up tonight on page 6 of the web site and others will be taken when it is daylight and put up on the site later.

RJ

Chassis Designer WhiteLightning's Avatar

I plan on doing this soon as well, but was worried about the ABS sensor. How did you go about over riding that.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteLightning
    I plan on doing this soon as well, but was worried about the ABS sensor. How did you go about over riding that.
    You can wire in some capacitors to trick the ABS system of thinking there is still and airbag there.

I bet there are instructions on the pointy board. ( www.miata.net forum)
    ...and across the line.

I added 3 - 10ohm resistors in parallel as instructed by Miata.net and I've never had a problem.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteLightning
    What ABS sensor?

It's a Spec car so you have to rip out the airbag system... but like Miatamoto said, wire those resistors (not capacitors) in parallel or find a single 3 ohm resistor and put it in place of the airbag to fool the computer.

You can probably find the 3 ohm one at Tanner Electronics on Valwood Parkway. (Valwood is the 2nd exit North of 635 on 35E in Carrollton... Go West on Valwood - you'll go over a set of railroad tracks and down the little hill and come to a light. Tanners is over on your right.

RJ

Yeah...

Resistors. You can tell I don't spend my free time hanging out at the ole' Radio Shack.
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    I added 3 - 10ohm resistors in parallel as instructed by Miata.net and I've never had a problem.
    The heck? I'm about to install a nice new wheel also, and read on miata.net that you only need one 3 ohm 1/4 watt resistor, not 3 10 ohm resistors in parallel.

Speaking of resistors, I have a couple left over for the flash to pass mod if anyone wants them.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66
    The heck? I'm about to install a nice new wheel also, and read on miata.net that you only need one 3 ohm 1/4 watt resistor, not 3 10 ohm resistors in parallel.

Speaking of resistors, I have a couple left over for the flash to pass mod if anyone wants them.
    3 10 ohm resistors in parallel will be seen as a 3.333 ohm load. Yes, it would be easier to install a single 3 ohm resistor, but it is likely easier to find 3 10 ohm resistors.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    3 10 ohm resistors in parallel will be seen as a 3.333 ohm load. Yes, it would be easier to install a single 3 ohm resistor, but it is likely easier to find 3 10 ohm resistors.
    Ah, I C. Thanks, not too electical savy here!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...