Thread: Dash cover under steering wheel broken

Default Dash cover under steering wheel broken

The heavy metal dash cover under the steereing wheel keeps falling off and hitting my knees!

The two tabs on the bottom of the dash are broken. Outside of replacing the whole dash, has anyone figured out a way to repair this or a work around?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

On a previous Miata, I used some noxious epoxy and a bit of metal strapping with holes and a slip on nut.

Take the metal strapping (you may have some laying around from a previous radio installation - it's used to hold the back of the radio up in place) and cut off a piece of it and use the epoxy to hold it in place. Make sure you set the strapping where the hole lines up with the hole in the knee plate. Use the slip on nut to have something to fasten a screw into and the knee plate will stay up.

You'll want to use some epoxy that will stick to that dash plastic. Also, clean up the dash plastic and scrape it a little with some sand paper. If you use the wrong epoxy (which I did on another Miata) you can simply use the metal strapping and put in a hole in the dash to put another screw/bolt in to hold it in place that way. It doesn't look near as nice but you can paint the screw heads black to hide them.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I removed the metal piece. Works great now with just the plastic.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I'd have to dig around the garage but I may have one you could have.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66
    I'd have to dig around the garage but I may have one you could have.
    The metal cover isn't broken. It's the dash where it bolts to that's broken.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    The metal cover isn't broken. It's the dash where it bolts to that's broken.
    Well, in that case you're on your own! Duct tape and zip ties always seem to work!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

I did metal strips on both sides of the dash to back up the plastic with those clip nut deals.

Default yup

same problem here, it recenlty started falling so i yanked it out, i figure some hot glue can fix the problem in my case.
    Have you considered that hardening clay?
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....