Thread: Ops, water leak isn't from radiator this time.

Default Ops, water leak isn't from radiator this time.

Well my car's been leaving a little water on the garage floor. I figured it was my radiator's drain plug again, but it wasn't. I put it up on ramps and pressurized the cooling system and waited a day. Finally found coolant dripping from the oil cooler. Then found where the coolant was dripping onto the cooler and it looks like it's coming from the front of the engine. Nothing exterior of the motor appears to be leaking so I'm guessing it's the water pump.

I've ordered the timing belt kit, water pump, all hoses and belts for the car. I figure If the water pump is giving it up then the hoses are bound to give up a leak soon enough.

Mazda South tells me they will be shipping the parts tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be able to fix the car this weekend. I'll probably start tearing it apart after work this week.

The previous owner reported a timing belt change at around 65k miles. When I asked him if he replaced the water pump he said he thought so, I'm guessing he didn't.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Good luck Duane. I've been slowly working on mine after work. Finally got the waterpump on yesterday and snapped the lower left bolt torqueing it to 17 ft-lbs after torqueing em all to 14 ft-lbs.

I was gonna order through Mazda South and pick up the parts (they're only 10 minutes from my house), but they only sell reconditioned Waterpumps. MazdaComp was able to send me a new waterpump for 50, no core charge.

I ended up buying thermostat gasket, 323GTX PCV valve and the bolt from Mazda South though.

Chris

Well, I took the extra time given to me by NewYears and got the car back in shape. New Seals in the camshafts and crank, new T-belt, all new hoses, all new belts, another radiator flush and it's running great. However, I think I'm still smell a slight hint of antifreeze, but hopefully its just some spillage burning off.

Next thing to get are some alignment bolts to take care of the knocking sound coming from the suspention.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.