Thread: Stealth Roadster?

Default Stealth Roadster?

I don't want to jinx myself so I'm knocking on wood first.

I think my car is virtually invisible to laser speed detectors. I've been zapped several times with laser and was exceeding the speed limit at the time.

Once I even got zapped with laser so I slowed down and immediately got zapped by Ka but by then was slowed down enough.

No visits from the po-po.

They say dark cars with pop-up headlights and no front plate (mine swings on a hinge) are hard for laser detectors to read. It appears I have a stealth roadster!

Knocking on wood again.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    I don't want to jinx myself...
    You just did.

My little "Rare" Mariner always catches the attention of the . But of course, I drive like a maniac.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    They say dark cars with pop-up headlights and no front plate (mine swings on a hinge) are hard for laser detectors to read. It appears I have a stealth roadster!
    I'm pretty sure this is true, at least for radar. I seem to remember C&D doing a test on this issue about 10 years ago. The black Firebird in the test was nearly invisible because there was nothing the radar signal could get a clean bounce off of. IIRC, cars with the radiator slanted would be even better because the radar goes through the plastic front end until it hits something metal. If the radiator is perpendicular to the road, then the radar bounces back straight, but if the radiator is canted back, the radar has a harder time. Pop-up headlights and no front plate were definitely big factors, as was the matte black paint.

I don't know how this would apply to laser...

S.

PS: You have so totally jinxed yourself.

Your dreamin! My new black on is like a Cop magnet!

The old one was and still is a cop magnet right ALL88??

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Your dreamin! My new black on is like a Cop magnet!
    That's because it's an NB, and it makes the cops say DAAAAAAMN that is one fine car!

S.

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    That's because it's an NB, and it makes the cops say DAAAAAAMN that is one fine car!

S.

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing

LOL

S.

I'm not saying anything about cop magnets. Hell... my car doesn't look like your average commuter.

I'm saying on several occassions the V1 blared it's hi-lo european police tones for laser. I slow down from 75-80mph to 60-65mph and keep going. Occassionally I then get a blip of Ka as if the cop couldn't get a reading on the laser and switched to the Ka radar gun. By that time, I'm at or below the speed limit.

Knock on wood. <---(It hasn't failed me yet) Doh! Knock on wood again!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel

S.

My black & tan NA seemed to have the same characteristicts to laser...

The NB however....

I guess I can post an event for a group gathering at the Comedy Defensive Driving. I wonder if I can get us a group rate...

On the other hand, he was nice & wrote the ticket for only 64 in a 40 (Speeding on the access road) so I could take defensive driving... Lucky for me, no workers were present that day.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

totally jinxed yourself-i give you 2 weeks before you get busted.

I drove from Houston back up to school in Arlington in about 2.5 hours

No cops thus far. I'm never going to buy a radar detector though becuase then I will know when they aren't any cops around and end up driving even faster, and at that point it just becomes a ticket detector. That is unless for some reason I go on a Gumball 3000 Rally, in which case I will buy everything possible.

Chassis Designer WhiteLightning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    On the other hand, he was nice & wrote the ticket for only 64 in a 40 (Speeding on the access road) so I could take defensive driving... Lucky for me, no workers were present that day.
    Your lucky, the first speeding ticket i got was for 50 in a 25 school zone. I was arrested, parents got the car and then had to go get me! I had to pay the ticket....$375 ticket....that sucks!! I have never speed in the school zones since, i just wait till after