Thread: I need a clutch!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Default I need a clutch!

Well it seems my 'vintage' Miata needs a clutch. I've been reading the pointy board and the enthusiasts manual trying to determine if I want to tackle this job myself or pay someone to do it.

Have any of y'all replaced a clutch? If so, how hard/easy was it? Would you do it again or pay someone to do it for you next time? If so, who would you bring it to for service?

I'd appreciate any info! Thanks in advance!

Is this a result of yesterdays' event?

No info on clutch......

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by joe.MIATA
    Is this a result of yesterdays' event?
    No. I noticed it slipping last week when all my back-roads to work were underwater and I had to take 820 home from work. Most noticeable in 5th gear. I adjusted the clutch linkage Saturday and it did make an improvement, but I think my days are numbered!

Default Re: I need a clutch!

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Well it seems my 'vintage' Miata needs a clutch. I've been reading the pointy board and the enthusiasts manual trying to determine if I want to tackle this job myself or pay someone to do it.

Have any of y'all replaced a clutch? If so, how hard/easy was it? Would you do it again or pay someone to do it for you next time? If so, who would you bring it to for service?

I'd appreciate any info! Thanks in advance!
    I've done it myself (with help) twice now - once when my OEM clutch started slipping and I decided to go with a replacement clutch and a lighter flywheel. The second time to remove the lighter flywheel to go back to Stock.

It's a $hitty job, especially without air tools and a lift. You'll also need a transmission jack in order to do it yourself, as the tranny weighs over 80 pounds (iirc) and has to be lined up precisely. I think it took us 8-10 hours each time.

Personally, I would pay someone to do it. I like working on cars, but I did not enjoy this job. I went so far as to pay someone (in parts) to do it for me the second time, but still ended up spending 8 hours helping him finish the job, as it wasn't ready when I needed to pick it up.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Did it myself and it took 12 hours at a friends hanger. Would have been quicker but ran into problems at the end (needed a replacement master and slave cylinder in Justin TX at midnight) If you've got the time and space and the mechanical inclination to do so, I'd do it, but then again I'm a cheap bastard.
    2013 Mazda2 slushbox daily
    1993 Miata (future exocet donor)

I've done it myself, also. It is quite a job to tackle yourself. You can do it, but read about the proceedure in the Enthusiast's Manual first to see if you REALLY want to try it.
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

So what's the plan Sammm?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    So what's the plan Sammm?
    I've ordered all the parts from Mazdaspeed (going back to OEM all around - ~$140 for clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing and pilot bearing). I also ordered the main seals and I'm even going to replace the 2 'inner' boot pieces while I'm at it. I talked to Stevan Boyd ( http://www.miatasolutions.com/ ) and he told me he charges $200 labor to install a clutch. That sounds like a great price to me, and after what I've read from the DIY'ers it will be money well spent! Now we just have to figure out when he can do it.

I highly recommend Stevan, it is probably well worth the money to not have to deal with it.
    2013 Mazda2 slushbox daily
    1993 Miata (future exocet donor)

That does sound like a great price. Had I known he only charged that much, I would have taken my last clutch job to him.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I'm with Iain. I did mine with a freind. It was a real pain and took us about 10-12 hours. It would be quicker the next time, but it was no picnic, but it is do-able. However, for $200 and he guarantee's his work, then thats a great price.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

For that kind of money absolutely do it yourself. The first time is a pain but the second time I do it should be easer - if there is a second time!

There are just too many things that can go wrong and drive you nuts - like the one bolt waaaay at the top of the trans that just didn't want to break loose. Took me about four hours of fighting it before I got it out.

It is possible to take them out without the trans jack, though. Just wrap a rope around it from the top and have someone up there lower it to you.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I just drove home from Stevan's place out in Justin with my new clutch. So that's what a 'good' clutch is supposed to feel like! It was actually a bad seal that blew oil all over the clutch to make it slip. Stevan installed all the new parts and I'm very happy with his work.
    He had a red rear-bumper laying in his shop that he swapped me straight-up for mine. My old had been painted and clear-coated ( ) and looked really bad. The clear coat was chipping and needed help!
    To top it off he keeps a keg of cold Shiner Bock in his hanger! What more could you ask for?!?!?

I would highly recommend Stevan to anyone needing wrenching they don't want to tackle themselves!

http://www.miatasolutions.com

Congrats on the new Clutch and Bumper

TD
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

So that ended up around $350 for parts and labor?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews2004
    So that ended up around $350 for parts and labor?
    Parts were around $140. Stevan charged $200 labor and he had a spare flywheel turned for me for $30 which he swapped out with mine. (New front & rear main seals, tranny gasket, clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, pilot bearing, flywheel swap-out, rear-bumper swap/install)

Front Main Seal? You mean on the Tranny, not the engine, right? The front main seal on the engine would require him to pull the timing belt. If he did all that for $200, and did a great job, then I need his number :o

TD