Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powdercoating?

Default Powdercoating?

I figure while the engine is out of the car over the next couple of weeks I have the perfect opportunity to have the valve cover powdercoated.

I'm looking for a crinkle-black finish with the lettering on the valve cover polished or left silver. Any recommendations on a good place to have it done?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Hasn't Sammmy's valve cover been powdercoated red? If I remember right it looks pretty good.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Paul's Powdercoating
    469-688-0837

A friend of mine and he does an excellent job and I haven't heard of anyone that has better prices.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Any recommendations on a good place to have it done?
    Do a search. LINKIE

I can't help now, but I may be able to offer discounted powder coating in the future. For Christmas, my mother-in-law bought my father-in-law a nice powder coating gun. We got him some different supplies and powders, and gave him the old kitchen oven that was pulled out of our kitchen when we got a new one last year. He also has a sand blasting tank, so he has all the pieces to do some nice work.

Right now, he is practicing. Once he figures things out, I am going to try to work out a special deal with him. I was thinking that for something like a valve cover, you would buy a pound of powder and a roll of high temp tape, and he gets to keep the un-used powder and tape. This way it would cost us about $30. Since the job would only take about 1/4 a pound, it would allow him to build up a stock of different powders and supplies without any investment other than his time.

This would not be limited to Valve covers... if you can hang it in a 24" kitchen oven to cure, he would be able to do it. I will talk to him once he gets some confidence in his work and pass along more information then.
    Last edited by Titus; 01-20-2006 at 09:42 AM.

Chassis Designer WhiteLightning's Avatar

That would be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I figure while the engine is out of the car over the next couple of weeks I have the perfect opportunity to have the valve cover powdercoated.
    There is a name for this increase in project scope that seems to be happening.....its called 'Mission-creep.'
    Remember, the only cure for racing is poverty.

Note: If you have some parts that you are willing to have be used for practice, I may be able to get them done for nothing. It would be in one of the 3 colors that he got for x-mas (gloss black, yellow, 1 stage chrome) and I could make no promises of the quality at this point. PM me if you have something.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    PM'ed, PM'ed, PM'ed, PM'ed, PM'ed, PM'ed, PM'ed, PM'ed...
    Liar! If you PM'ed someone... it wasn't me!

I wouldn't mind having my valve cover done in chrome Where are you located?

I meant to get one from a junkyard while I was home over break and polish it, but I just didn't get off my arse and actualy do it.

Hehe... oopss.. I was distracted by Hooter's girls...
    I don't know if I should forgive you or be pissed you didn't invite me!

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    I vote for pissed!

After I get done with my early side chores, you're more than welcome to come up and hit the Hooter's!

My buddy is back as store manager too!

After I get done with my early side chores, you're more than welcome to come up and hit the Hooter's!

My buddy is back as store manager too!
    BJ is still at Reunion (went to the 2pm show) so I have the kid at the moment, but I'll give you a call when she is back.

BJ is still at Reunion (went to the 2pm show) so I have the kid at the moment, but I'll give you a call when she is back.
    You're on!

Speaking of hooters, anyone want to hit one up for the playoff games tomorrow? Sorry to hijack the thread Altiain.

Default Would you

Powder coat a Corvette top water inlet for me? Cost?
    Jack "Rude Dog" Hays
    I'll See You On The Dark Side Of The Moon

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Speaking of hooters, anyone want to hit one up for the playoff games tomorrow? Sorry to hijack the thread Altiain.
    How was hooters?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast