Thread: PPF Brace and MS Motor mounts

Default PPF Brace and MS Motor mounts

Just got the power plant brace and Mazda Speed motor mounts installed.
    I was missing 2nd to 3rd shifts when my RPM's were high, the motor mounts seemed to cure that for normal aggresive driving...lol
    also with the PPF brace it seems that the power delivery to the wheels is better and with less wheel hop, overall the car feels tighter in response and it seems that my idle speed is not droping like it used to.
    Thanks to Gary for suggesting these mods.
    The old motor mounts were in fairly bad shape, one was cracked and the other was bent.
    For anyone considering these parts I think they are a worth while investment.
    99 Miata Black

Way to go Billy...nice mods
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

Did you replace motor mount bushings or the motor mounts themselves?
    No more Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    Ahh! nice.
    No more Miata

Very nice choice for your future mad power, Billy.

Does anyone know if they are Stock legal? I've lost a vacuum hose twice now after hard driving, once at the driving school last year and then again about a month ago. Not a show stopper, but an annoyance just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65
    Does anyone know if they are Stock legal?
    That is a very good question! I'm guessing the answer is no since it is an upgrade of the OEM part, but I could always be wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    That is a very good question! I'm guessing the answer is no since it is an upgrade of the OEM part, but I could always be wrong!
    I don't think they are either... but what are the odds of a tech inspector pulling your motor mounts to find out?

I liked what they did for my '04...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04
    I don't think they are either... but what are the odds of a tech inspector pulling your motor mounts to find out?

I liked what they did for my '04...
    I'd bet no one on the local level would notice except for those you already told on a Miata Forum, but if you were going to try and play with the big kids I'd bet they would spot it quickly!

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65
    Does anyone know if they are Stock legal?
    If no one knows they are there but you, they are! hehehe!
    No more Miata

No, they wouldn't be stock legal.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Even if you are not thinking of replacing them with the MS ones, I would check them to see if they are failing...mine looked almost exactly like the demo pics in this thread and I have 52K on the car.
    99 Miata Black

Every car we have pulled the motor mounts prior to SC or turbos had visible cracks and possible bends as you see in our earlier pictures that were posted. Even cars with 40K miles can have excessive wear on the motor mounts if you drive it like you stole it!

Something to think about; every time you accelerate and decelerate your engine and drive train mass is moving from side to side, it can't help in your handling of the car. Next time you are under the hood, from the valve cover push the engine to the side, you will be amazed with stock motor mounts how much it will move. If it looks excessive, maybe about an inch of movement, chances are your mounts are warned or even broken. Do this on a car with MS motor mounts and you will see very little movement. By the way, your engine will not fall out if your mounts are bad.

Same goes with the power frame support (PPF). That poor little chunk of aluminum takes a lot of abuse, even more with FI. When you accelerate the PPF is getting left and right torque from the engine and at the same time up and down motion from the differential. The PPF support TDR sells strengthens the power frame support by adding a steel u-channel to the beam and adds differential bushing stiffeners. These urethane bushing inserts go into the void of the differential mount to reduce the up and down motion when you accelerate and decelerate. As Billy mentioned earlier, there is less chances of wheel hope, aiding in traction.

By adding these two stiffening tools you tighten up the whole drive train and reduce momentum from all that mass movement and intern improve your handling. We recommend the PPF support as well as the motor mounts to EVERY Miata that wants improved handling, FI or NA.

Here is a link to the PPF, http://www.trackdogracing.com/website/ppf.htm#ppf

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com